Is is possible to scale a photograph and rely on dimensions?

kenny

I think I got it. My purpose is to add a balustrade to the porch. I therefore should scale it based on the porch posts where the railing will be and not the windows - farther back. It should be a closer match that way.

I appreciate everyone's help!

ken

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• kenny

• tzframpton

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think it really does exactly what you are after.

I think it just creates a 3D reference image, you will still have to create geometry.

It is pretty impressive though!

I cannot vouch for 123D but I have used photomodeler in the past and it does create the geometry. It will create an accurate 3D model that can be used to take dimensions from. Providing you do it correctly, and of course you need a few reference sizes to get the correct scale.

I think I got it. My purpose is to add a balustrade to the porch. I therefore should scale it based on the porch posts where the railing will be and not the windows - farther back. It should be a closer match that way.

I appreciate everyone's help!

ken

I think you took the wrong approach completely. I'm not trying to be rude here at all, but I do want to be direct. If you're planning on drawing an existing condition to draw in new additions, and this house is yours or someone who has granted you access to the property, then you really need to do the right thing and put a tape measure down along with a level (in some needed areas) to get a true as-built condition.

Just my humble, but direct $0.02 is all. 8)

Remember...measure twice, cut once, swear, go to Home Depot, come back, measure again, cut, swear again, go back to Home Depot. Repeat as often as necessary.

If you were using a later version of AutoCAD and strictly 2D I would suggest checking into the Parameters tab tools.

You could put in what you know, and expert guestimate the rest using the image for reference.

Then when you get a chance to get back out in the field to take actual measurements it is simply a matter of editing your parametric dimensions and the drawing updates.

So no need to have all (or even very many) of the true dimensions up front, and no extensive rework on anything you guessed wrong.

That is the power of Parametric modeling where the dimensions drive the geometry rather than the other way around.