Layout (SketchUP) P&ID Symbols

troggarf

I have been wanting to test if Layout could be used for P&IDs for a while now so i created a library of P&ID symbols within Layout and then created a "Scrapbook" of the symbols that can be inserted into drawings. It seems to work well.

The symbols are created as "groups"

The Layout file version is "Layout 3"

The name of the Layout file had to be changed with the ".txt" file format becase the ".layout" file format is not "valid" on CADTutor. Please delete the .txt at the end of the file name thus changing the file format.

PID Symbols-V3.layout.txt

PID Symbols_01.jpg

To Create a "Scrapbook":

With the file open go to File > Save As Scrapbook and then give the Scrap book a name like "PID Symbols" and then save it to a location and then you should be ready to roll.

Very cool Greg :) I don't use layout but I did open it in Layout 2013 and it seemed to work just fine. Thanks for sharing.

Sean

Cool - Thanks for checking that it works.

To be honest, I don't have a use for it either, but I thought that it would be cool to see if Layout could be used for simple 2D drafting work.

I think that it could be used successfully on a small scale for non-intelligent drawings.

If only there were plugins for Layout like there are for sketchup, it could do a lot more...

I might start making a 2D electrical menu as well

~Greg

• 4 months later...

Thanks for your post. I am very new to SketchUp Layout. I loaded your file per the instructions above into Layout v3. However, only “Valves 3-Way” through “Valve Trm Drain” (17 items) is visible. (1) How do I make the other symbols visible in LayOut? How do I bring these symbols into my P&ID in LayOut? And (3) how do I load other symbols into scrapbooks in LayOut?

Thanks, in advance, for your reply.

I have been wanting to test if Layout could be used for P&IDs for a while now so i created a library of P&ID symbols within Layout and then created a "Scrapbook" of the symbols that can be inserted into drawings. It seems to work well.

The symbols are created as "groups"

The Layout file version is "Layout 3"

The name of the Layout file had to be changed with the ".txt" file format becase the ".layout" file format is not "valid" on CADTutor. Please delete the .txt at the end of the file name thus changing the file format.

[ATTACH]42150[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42149[/ATTACH]

To Create a "Scrapbook":

With the file open go to File > Save As Scrapbook and then give the Scrap book a name like "PID Symbols" and then save it to a location and then you should be ready to roll.