Make an inventor part/block smaller for use in autocad

raj banerjee

Hello,

we have a few assemblies made by some manufacturers of machines with inventor. The machines are very detailed especially with details of items which cannot be viewd from the outside i.e. parts which are elcosed within the outside of the machine.

When I import them as a step file into autocad they are very big in file size and make the drawing very slow to work on. Is there any way to make a block from the assembly which only has the outside profile of the assembly and nothing else as it is only for visual representational purposes, we are trying to do a lyout drawing showing where the machines are situated within the factory.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

What if you created an image of the machine and inserted that instead? Would that be an acceptable solution?

thancks chaps,

I have heard of the skrink wrap but dont know wha it does, I have a trial copy of inventor but im not any good at it, im trying to learn it though so some pointers in how and what it does would be great.

when you say image do you mean like an inserted bitmap? it still needs to be 3d for modelling purposes.

"...it is only for visual representational purposes."

Then this statement doesn't exactly define the true intent. OK. Never mind.

It takes all parts in the assembly file and creates a single merged part file.

There are a couple of different options to choose from that will give various outputs.

If you then export this file as an .stl it should output a smaller file size.