HELP with .cad file?!

Nayfb

Hello all, Nathan here.

I found a little thread on this before but nobody actually came up with an answer to the question. A customer has sent me a .CAD file, which i cannot open with the programs i own, does anyone else know what program can open this file type?

Any positive response is much appreciated people.

Many Thanks in advance,

Nathan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nayfb

• ReMark

• f700es

• PotGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm guessing you have found this thread already.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?58770-How-do-I-open-a-.cad-file-type

I think your best bet is to follow the advice there of asking your customer if he can save the file as dwg (or maybe dxf) so that you can open it.

That thread also suggests that you nay be able to download QuickCAD to do the conversion yourself.

Hey, Firstly thanks for your prompt reply,

Yes i found that before but couldn't find any answers to my problem, which is why i thought id try a fresh approach.

I already have, but the program they use is on a subscription basis and only outputs with .cad, .dwg output doesn't work for them. and obviously i don't want to have to pay to a subscription for the software for only one customer so i was just wondering if there was another program that could run this file extension.

Thanks again.

CADSTD is still available as far as I can tell. Maybe it can be used to open your .CAD file.

CADSTD.PNG

Found the link to the program in the thread previously referenced.

Thanks very much for all of your responses, much appreciated.

Yes i have tried everything in the thread mentioned at the beginning of this one, and nothing worked. Just wondered if anything else was now available.

Thanks again for your responses, keep them coming.

What is the name of the program your customer is using?

What, if any, file types can they EXPORT to? This is not the same as SAVE as.

True, i just didn't know that it would be an issue not to know what they use. Assumed .CAD was more of a common file and i was just being daft not being able to find a program to open them.

Can they print to a PDF for you? If so there are ways to get the info unless the drawings are just easy enough to redraw.

a few of them would be easy enough to re-draw but it is the sheer quantity rather than the complexity of them that would be the issue. Which is why i could do with getting a program to open the files.

Sometimes you just need to go right to the source which in this case would be the makers of Procut. I asked what file types could be used when importing or exporting. Here is the response I received.

Good Morning Mark,

Procut can import DXF, DWG, StruCAD (Cam & Fit files) and Tekla or Advanced Steel (NC1 files).

Procut can export to DXF & DWG.

I hope this helps, if you need anything else re: Procut please ask.

Regards

Dave Ward

Procut Software Sales, Support & Training

Phone 0115 9210411

Office 0115 9391888

Exporting to DXF and DWG is possible but I wonder if this capability is version specific?

Ask your customer what version they are using.

WTF!!! I swear to God I just about hate working with people! Why lie, unless the user was too stupid to know the program he works with.

:roll:

WTF!!! I swear to God I just about hate working with people! Why lie, unless the user was too stupid to know the program he works with.

I think the majority of people who work with CAD programs only know how to use a fraction of what the program is capable of. They know only enough to get by.