Type in Distance

addesigns

So I recently discovered that in Revit I can give the distance i want something to extend by typing in the distance ie.. I place a wall and I want it to be 6' long.

I discovered that I can click to place the wall and type =3*2 and hit enter. Then the wall will be 6' long. That is great. I am wondering if it is possible to do inches and fractions as well. I tried typing in 3'-3"=3'-3" When I hit enter it made the wall 5'-6" long which is incorrect.

I am wondering if anyone has had any success in this or knows of a way to incorporate inches and fractions.

I ask because we do a once a month Revit Users group lunch and learn at my work. Althought this process is very unpractical I didnt have much to talk about for a subject and decided I would do 3-4 Tips and Tricks. Its a very informal lunch and learn and the content does not need to be anything very important. Also most subjects have been gone over.

In Revit, to do feet and inches, you simply separate the values by a space.

I'm assuming your Project Units is set to "Feet and Fractional Inches", the default OOTB setting:

1) Whole numbers: Typing in "3 3" gives you 3'-3" while typing "0 7" gives you 0-7".

2) Fractions: If you type "7 6 1/2" you get 7'-6 1/2" or "6 3/8" gets you 6'-0 3/8".

3) Decimals: "0 4.5" will give you 0'-4 1/2", "6 7 .125" returns 6'-7 1/8" and "9 .875" gives you 9'-0 7/8".

4) Fractional/Decimal Feet: "4.5" or "4.5 0" will give you 4'-6", ".25" or ".25 0" will get you 3"; "1/2" will return 6" and "7 1/2" will return 7'-0 1/2" where "7.5" will give you 7'-6".

I hope I haven't thoroughly confused you, because this all changes when you change your units.

Muchas Gracias. This did what I was looking for. Most of our projects are in millimeters since we do big jobs all over the globe. It did the trick though in Imperial. Much abliged.