working with constraints

Hi,

Now practicing with geometric constraints, so sorry for sounding amateurish.

Now I got a hand on applying geometric constraints to my lil sketch (see attached). However, I would also like to have my dimensions work in accordance with the design i.e. when my width increases, the dimension (in red) should also increase with it.

I know that I can switch the dimension constraint from "dynamic" to "annotative", but that does not give me the view that I desire.

Thanks for any ideas.:D

Practice with Constraints.dwg

I don't remember how to do it - but you are not supposed to have to redimension the model. (extra - duplicated work)

There is a way to use your parametric dimension as an annotation when you go to paperspace Layout that looks no different than standard way of placing dimensions (exept that they are associative and driving rather than driven dimensions).

Become very familiar with Nearest osnap (automatically adds coincident constraints that are otherwise not possible or must be done manually).

I recommend you Lock a datum.

OK, I know how to change the constraint dimension from dynamic to annotative, but how can i not have it display as "d1=*****" or "fx:*****"?

Not entirely following the neareast osnap option also.

...., but how can i not have it display as "d1=*****" or "fx:*****"?

I am pretty sure there is a way (if I remember correctly from training session), but my memory is not good enough to recall exactly how (I seldom use AutoCAD anymore).

It might be only when you go to Layout that the parametric function symbol disappears.

Parametic Dimension.png

Just a question though.....

Can dimension constraints be connected to tables i.e. when u enter a figure on the table, the dimension constraint adjusts automatically to that figure.

When you click on the Parameters Manager there is a table of your dimensions and you can edit these and our dimension constraints automatically update the figure, but I suspect that you are looking for a Table feature on the drawing. Not sure if this is possible in AutoCAD (I seem to recall that it is, but....).

• 9 months later...

What method did you use to change from dynamic to annotative? Your dimension doesn't look right in properties. The way to change dynamic to annotative is to select it and change the setting in properties, then the dims will still work in the parameter manager.

I don't believe there is a way to show the parameter table on the drawing.