Graphics card

iainlines

Hi,

Knowing next to nothing about graphics cards could someone have a look at the following spec and see if this is ok for running vanilla 2013. It is a little shaky and slow to respond

Thanks y'all

Iain

Intel HD graphics family

Total memory: 1696mb

Current display mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59hz)

I notice it is 32 bit, yet my pc is 64 bit.....relevant?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• iainlines

• Handiman

• PotGuy

There appears to be some information missing.

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

Are you actually running AutoCAD 2007 32-bit on a 64-bit computer?

Mostly off topic, but... have you tried a solid state drive? It sped my machine up for 2d and light 3d. Bit of a pain having to reinstall everything though.

Just because it is slow doesn't necessarily mean it is a drive problem.

What are the specs on this computer? How much RAM is installed?

Intel HD Graphics Family (P3000) is mainly for your everyday consumer who is doing a little bit of everything. I would consider it to be an entry level choice for a system running Win7 64-bit. The next step up would be the P4000 series designed for workstations.

I'm not a big fan of Intel for graphics. I generally lean towards the nVidia graphics cards although I have speced out an ATI FirePro for one of the engineers here.

Thanks for the quick responses folks.

ReMark....I was running 07 v32 bit on 64 bit yes, but now I am running 2013, though 07 is till on here.

Desktop. Intel i3-2100. 4GB

Hope this helps

Cheers

"Intel HD graphics family

Total memory: 1696mb

Current display mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (59hz)

I notice it is 32 bit, yet my pc is 64 bit.....relevant?"

The 32 bit above refers to the colour depth i.e. it displays 2^32 distinct colours

Yes, sorry I neglected to mention that. Well at least I think so anyway. Sorry, I appreciate my info is somewhat lacking

I'm even less of a fan of onboard graphic chips. Get yourself a dedicated graphics card. How much can you afford to spend?

Are you going to bump up the RAM too while you're at it? 8GB would be nice.

ATI or nVidia?

Describe for us the type of work you do again.

Mark, no plans to get more RAM no.

The work I do is relatively simple....actually very simple 2D for the most part.

File sizes around 100kb

2D and file sizes around 100kb? I don't see why you should be having any problems then. Something else must be at play here.

What else is running in the background?

Nothing as far as I am aware.

I have been playing around a little more in 3D of late and noticed it is slightly jerky, nothing that I couldn't live with but thought I'd at least ask the question

Thanks for the quick responses folks.

ReMark....I was running 07 v32 bit on 64 bit yes, but now I am running 2013, though 07 is till on here.

Desktop. Intel i3-2100. 4GB

Hope this helps

Cheers

Is this a laptop? If so not much you can do about it. Is hardware acceleration turned on in AutoCAD?

I think it is a desktop (bargain basement variety from the sounds of it). Probably purchased by someone who had no idea what it takes to do CAD work.

I think it is a desktop (bargain basement variety from the sounds of it). Probably purchased by someone who had no idea what it takes to do CAD work.

It doesn't matter what knowledge the purchaser has, the basic spec called out by Autodesk are the problem (My opinion)

It would be very helpful for Autodesk to callout better basic requirements.

Sure what they recommend will operate the software, but most people are drawing more than just lines, and that is what a boss that doesn't have to sit and wait 5 seconds for a save. Or while it crunches something. It would be nice for better recommendations. Mainly in video card, memory and CPU speeds.

It would be great if they would take advantage of the multi-core processors better. They are much more common now and the prices are not out of reach. If I had to do my work on a system that matched their recommendation I would never use the software.

Those are the MINIMUM system requirements so in reality it is just a jumping off point for the purchaser. So the problem is not AutoDesk's.

Many IT departments have no clue as to what goes into making up a good CAD computer. They have to be educated or they should relinquish the specification of the machine to the person that is actually going to be using it on a daily basis.