Invalid or incomplete DXF input Error message

gbuckley

"Unknown value "AC1027" encountered in drawing version.

Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded. Press Enter to continue." (then the file disappears)

MY workflow:

I am opening up DXF files created by me with RASPLOT 2.5 and RASPLOT 3.0 (an Army Corp of Engineers Hyrdraulic model extraction program) I bring the DXFs into AutoCAD for better cleanup of the 2D graph it creates of flood profiles.

OBSERVATIONS:

Others in my office have opened the same engineering models in RASPLOT and been able to bring DXFs into AutoCAD 2011/2012 in with no problem. It had worked for me in the past, but I can't recall what happened to all of a sudden make it not work, EVER. My co-workers can work with the RASPLOT DXFs in Windows XP and Windows 7.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:

-I upgraded my RASPLOT version first from 2.5 to 3.0, then upgraded my AutoCAD2011 to 2012. No change.

-If I create the DXF on my computer, then open it remotely from another computer's AutoCAD, I still get the same error message. (My only solution has been to create my DXF by remotely logging into another computer with RASPLOT then it will open in my computer's AutoCAD.)

- I tried changing the .dxf file path to .dwg but that doesn't work.

-One forum tried to explain opening it in Word and changing formatting? I followed it but that didn't change anything.

ANY advice would be helpful, not much help from the RASPLOT side since they expect for the user to go through their cumbersome DXF Editor program. Thanks!

"Unknown value "AC1027" encountered in drawing version.

Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded. Press Enter to continue." (then the file disappears)

AC1027 is AutoCAD 2013. You won't be able to open it in an older version. You may be able to trick it into thinking it is an older DXF file by changing the 1027 to

1024 (see below).

Why others can open it but not you is a mystery though.

-One forum tried to explain opening it in Word and changing formatting? I followed it but that didn't change anything.

. Thanks!

NEVER EVER open a DXF in Word. Word likes adding its own commands secretly within the body. You need to use a plain text editor, notepad will work and I think word pad will work, but NOT word.

Another possible thing you can try is to download AutoDESK's converter program which should (never tried it) be able to convert a 2013 DXF into an earlier DWG for you.

I used WordPad to alter the DXF code of AC1027 to AC1024, and the DXF was able to open in AutoCAD2012! Thanks for the help dbroada.

Also to add, going back to the manual of the newest RASPLOT 3.0 it states this version's default DXF is AutoCAD2013 compatible... So thanks for pointing me in the right direction. There's an option now to Save As a older version of DXF.

**I'm curious why I had a similar problem with RASPLOT 2.5(and was the only one to experience it), but for now we've solved the issue. Keep on plodding forward!

Edited by gbuckley
adding on more info