Who knows how to solve this piping problem with AutoCAD

nestly

I'm not interested in playing games, so unless you can provide the precise angle for the question proving that your technique works, I'm not that interested. And for the record, the parameters in the first post (70 degrees with 9 inches rise) are of no particular significance, it is simply a sample problem... it could be any angle less than 90 degrees and any elevation change less than 12 inches (8" 45LR + 8" 90LR = 12" rise)

Bet ya 2 bits it's to go around a column and get ideal slope for drainage purpose.

Once again op want's the exact angle and other to do the work for them and avoid brain searching from is part .

I already gave you 3 clues to get the it done but forgot to ask the distance from the center of the main up pipe to the center of the offset one.

Game i remind you this forum is not to do the work for ya but to help out and the supply help on the progress you are at.

Best

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• SEANT

• ROBP

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bet ya 2 bits it's to go around a column and get ideal slope for drainage purpose.

No... It's a very common situation where two pipe runs are neither square with each other, nor at the same elevation... ie. exactly what's shown in the 1st post.

Once again op want's the exact angle and other to do the work for them and avoid brain searching from is part .

Actually, I never asked for an exact angle until you claimed it's "easy easy" and claim it can be done in 2D. I already determined the angle using an inefficient trial and error method that requires nothing more than basic 3D AutoCAD skills and time. I asked you to supply the angle to find out whether you actually understand the problem, and know how to solve it.

I already gave you 3 clues to get the it done but forgot to ask the distance from the center of the main up pipe to the center of the offset one.

All the known parameters were provided in the first post.

Game i remind you this forum is not to do the work for ya but to help out and the supply help on the progress you are at.

Did you notice the date on this topic? I was not then, and am not now looking for anyone to do my work, I simply asked for help finding a programatic / mathmatic procedure to solve a particular type of problem.

i will follow up later to see the progress of your work

I prefer if you don't, but thanks anyway.

Edited by nestly

That may be true for students looking for help with an assignment but there are a lot of people that think out and research a question before posting. In this case the OP has a way to find the needed information but needs a practical method. Dangling the answer like a carrot in front of a horse and saying it is simple can be construed as being a bit rude, IMHO.

No... It's a very common situation where two pipe runs are neither square with each other, nor at the same elevation... ie. exactly what's shown in the 1st post.

Actually, I never asked for an exact angle until you claimed it's "easy easy" and claim it can be done in 2D. I already determined the angle using an inefficient trial and error method that requires nothing more than basic 3D AutoCAD skills and time. I asked you to supply the angle to find out whether you actually understand the problem, and know how to solve it.

All the known parameters were provided in the first post.

Did you notice the date on this topic? I was not then, and am not now looking for anyone to do my work, I simply asked for help finding a programatic / mathmatic procedure to solve a particular type of problem.

I prefer if you don't, but thanks anyway.

as you wish then, i only had 1 more question and was going to do it with all dimensions but i will spend time doing other cad stuff more profitable to others

ciao

as you wish then, i only had 1 more question and was going to do it with all dimensions but i will spend time doing other cad stuff more profitable to others

ciao

ROBP, you may well have some insights as to a good way to do this, more power to you.

I have seen nestly create beautiful custom videos on the fly detailing very helpful and creative solutions

to the problems of others on this site, more times than I would care to count.

You are pretty new on this site, and nestly hasn't been posting much since you joined, too busy

putting out other fires I imagine. Should you want to see a few examples of nestly's craft and solutions,

you could check out some of his posts by visiting his profile page. No doubt, you too, would be impressed

by his resourcefulness, willingness to assist, and beautifully executed video solutions. :|

ROBP, you may well have some insights as to a good way to do this, more power to you.

I have seen nestly create beautiful custom videos on the fly detailing very helpful and creative solutions

to the problems of others on this site, more times than I would care to count.

You are pretty new on this site, and nestly hasn't been posting much since you joined, too busy

putting out other fires I imagine. Should you want to see a few examples of nestly's craft and solutions,

you could check out some of his posts by visiting his profile page. No doubt, you too, would be impressed

by his resourcefulness, willingness to assist, and beautifully executed video solutions. :|

+1 on this. Nestly has been in the field for decades and knows his trade very well. Combine that with the fact that he's a guru in AutoCAD is awe-inspiring and any company would be lucky to employ such an individual. It's hard to find that type of combination of field experience and AutoCAD design knowledge.

In saying that I can definitely sympathize with Nestly's irritations to the vague and ambiguous nature of the responses. This is a forum of assistance and support, not games.

-Tannar

I think constraints would be just the ticket in a program that could apply them in 3D...

what 2 points should I use to identify 9" rise?

Thanks JD, I was hoping someone with a strong math background would see this topic.

The two lines are oriented to form a 70 degree bend, and one line is 9 inches higher than the other. If the animation still doesn't adequately illustrate what I need to do, I can post a drawing.

Compound pipe offset.gif

Yes, make sure you satisfy the IRS first... you won't be any help to any of us if you're behind bars. :lol:

And yeah a general solution is what I'm seeking... ie a calculated or programatic solution instead of manually rotating and trimming in multiple planes until it's "close enough".

Well, it is pretty easy in a parametric modeler, but I've spent some time on this now and don't see an easy solution for AutoCAD.

I'll make a wager that ROBP cannot demonstrate a general solution in AutoCAD.

I haven't given up yet, but I am hoping ROBP comes back and gives me a bit of education on geometry.

I appreciate the effort, at least I feel better knowing there's a reason I've had trouble figuring it out. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be solved with AutoCAD, but I'm stronger in AutoCAD than I am in math so that's what I was hoping for.

I can give you a correct answer to any variable of the general problem to 15 decimal places - but can't tell you how to get there without 3D assembly constraints.

The more I work on this - the more I look forward to ROBP's "solution".

Well, it is pretty easy in a parametric modeler, but I've spent some time on this now and don't see an easy solution for AutoCAD.

I'll make a wager that ROBP cannot demonstrate a general solution in AutoCAD.

I haven't given up yet, but I am hoping ROBP comes back and gives me a bit of education on geometry.

Not about to call it quit here either but.....

Not so much for geometry but lack of info OP omitted to supply important info

please correct if i am wrong but i have never seen the offset distance from the down pipe datum to the the angular one.

Therefore i did a few scenarios over the weekend and came ended up with a full 90 elbow with a a 45 shop cut along with a 90 one also shop cut with both extensions added to the up datum pipe and the angular one (both 90 and 45 a match cut pair.

Trial was done with both short and long radius elbows but without the offset distance i cannot go any further.

R

I can give you a correct answer to any variable of the general problem to 15 decimal places - but can't tell you how to get there without 3D assembly constraints.

Cool, I'll just send you a PM with the parameters every time I run across one of these angled offset corners... lol Just kidding. Just for comparison, I "settled" on 67.7 degrees for the 2nd angle as being "close enough" in this particular example. It does satisfy the 70 degree criteria, but ends up being a couple hundredths of an inch over elevation. Obviously that's inconsequential as far as pipe fitting goes, but it's still not a precise solution and I did spend considerable time fine tuning to get that close.

Trial was done with both short and long radius elbows but without the offset distance i cannot go any further.

You are wasting your time. You might as well give it up.

But here - I understand you like to give "solutions" in the form of puzzling clues.

...do the work for them and avoid brain searching from is part....

Here are the parts - missing one (not needed for the solution).

Attached is an assembly with missing piece.

The 70° must remain at the given angle.

The 70° part must remain 9" in front of the vertical part.

The vertical part must remain vertical.

Pipe Run.dwg

Tomorrow I will come back and check on your progress and give you another clue (the missing piece).

Edited by JD Mather

Not so much for geometry but lack of info OP omitted to supply important info

please correct if i am wrong but i have never seen the offset distance from the down pipe datum to the the angular one.

The only known parameters are the bend angle, and the elevation change, both of which were given in the first post. Everything else has to be calculated from those two parameters and the radii of the fittings (8" LR in this case), which was also stated in the first post.

It's OK if you don't know how to solve it, no one else whom I've asked knows either.

One more time for clarity....

Pipe animation.gif

Edited by nestly