from autocad to adobe InDesign

Guest kees versluis

Guest kees versluis

Hello there, I just discovered CadTutor a few days ago, and it was of great help with problems I had with exporting Autocad files to Photoshop. Now I would like to submit the following question: I have made several attempts to get my Autocad drawings into Adobe InDesign, but the results are highly unsatisfying.

I suppose that the EPS format is the right way to do it, but the results I get when I open the EPS files in InDesign are very poor (no sharp lines etc.) Can anybody help me on this one?

Thanks in advance, Kees Versluis.

• 1 year later...
Guest LardPants

Hi Kees

Yes, EPS files do not display with full resolution in InDesign, but they should print OK if you have a postscript printer, or export to Acrobat. I'm not sure how adobe thinks you can accurately position your EPS if you can't see it though!! You could try tweaking the display setting in the "preferences" menu to make vector information display better.

The other workaround is PDF. I'm a bit surprised that we don't see more in this site in reference to acrobat as a means of exporting files from AutoCAD and into other programs, especially Adobe ones.

The great advantage for me is that you can export as a plot from AutoCAD, much like for EPS, but you can view the file in a lot higher screen resolution, and print it right out of Acrobat reader (handy for clients who don't have Autocad). InDesign allows you to "place" a PDF like any image. YOu may have to tweak the display prefs as above, but it should look better than your EPS.

PDF is also a good workflow into Photoshop, theimport process is exactly the same as for EPS except the background is transparent, which saves a lot of extra work.

If you don't have a full version of Acrobat or Distiller, there are now LOTS of freebie PDF writers available (try googling PDF995 or CutePDF).

I concur, PDF seems to be a good way to import CAD into InDesign. I just gave it a try in InDesign 2.0 and it looks pretty good. I do not use InDesign, in fact this about the 4th time I have opened it. It came with my Adobe Design Collection and pretty much the only reason I have it :oops: . I thought that perhaps going through Illustrator might work but it did not.

Edit: Ok maybe Illustrator will work but why add another step?

• 7 years later...

I've been currently trying to complete a book for a client using InDesign and adding files from AutoCad and so far this thread has been the most helpful advice I have found. I was considering opening up the .dwg into illustrator and saving it as illustrator EPS and then importing that EPS into InDesign.

The PDF option sounds promising though - will give both a go!