AutoCAD Educational Issues

Mike_Taylor

Hello,

We have received backgrounds from a client that was drawn using aneducational version of AutoCAD, obviously we cannot use the drawing directly asit would have an educational stamp.

I have found a work around where I can use the background given to us andget rid of the educational stamp.

I found the following clause in the LSA:

6.3Affected Data. Work product and other data

created with LicensedMaterials made available under certain License Types,

including licenses thatlimit the permitted purpose to educational purposes or

personal learningpurposes, may contain certain notices and limitations that make

the workproduct and other data usable only in certain circumstances (e.g., only

in theeducation field). In addition, if Licensee combines or links work product

orother data created with such Licensed Materials with work product or other

dataotherwise created, then such other work product or data may also be affected

bythese notices and limitations. Autodesk will have no responsibility

orliability whatsoever if Licensee combines or links work product or other

datacreated with such Licensed Materials with work product or other data

otherwisecreated. In addition, Licensee will not remove, alter or obscure any

suchnotices or limitations.

The above clause to me is unclear as to whether or not we are responsiblefor removing the stamp as it appears to be restricting the Licensee of theeducational version only.

If I could receive confirmation that we are OK in doing this before we proceed with any work that would begreat.

Thanks and I appreciate your time and effort.

Nice try. If you are creating drawings for profit (using a commercial license) you better not be using content created with an educational version. Period. The responsibility ends with you.

Reminds me of the time I got my younger brother to steal some cookies from the cookie jar. When we got caught my defense was "I didn't steal the cookies Mikey did. I just made use of (ate) them." My mother was not fooled for a second.

After looking through the LSA in some more detail I figured this would be the case. Do either of you have any documentation regarding this type of situation. Everything I see on JD's link is using the software itself.

You want to make sure you are on solid footing with your decision therefore it is in your best interest to call your VAR as previously suggested. If they have any doubts they'll call AutoDesk directly and inquire on your behalf. Either way you get your answer.

I've had the opportunity to view hundreds of drawings created using the educational version and not once have I elected to "borrow" some of that content and use it in any of my company drawings.

I would just send a simple polite email to the client saying that it is technically not possible to use data drawn in an educational version of AutoCad with the full AutoCad package your business uses. You then state it will cost them an additional $x for you to redraw their CAD plan in full AutoCad.

The client will either agree to this or take their business elsewhere.

Note. I am assuming the client is an individual and another another company etc.