Tolerances and Dimension symbols

cosme017

I am trying to dimension a v-anvil for a pf project, but I'm not sure how I would add the dimension symbols or tolerance levels. Any ideas?

I understand that, but there are no default settings for it? So I'm going to assume I insert the measurements according to the dimensions of the v-anvil? Also, when I do the dimensions which measurement do I choose?(linear, radius, etc) thanks.

Tolerances.jpg

Go to your DimStyle and click on the Tolerances tab. You have a number of choices to make that will affect the appearance of your tolerances. I would expect that you would be using mostly linear dimensions but without seeing the anvil drawing I can't say that with 100% assurance.

Ok Great! Thank you for that. worked like a charm. One question? Is it standard practice to have the precision @ .0000?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42508[/ATTACH]

Go to your DimStyle and click on the Tolerances tab. You have a number of choices to make that will affect the appearance of your tolerances. I would expect that you would be using mostly linear dimensions but without seeing the anvil drawing I can't say that with 100% assurance.

My line of work has no call for specifying tolerances thus I cannot answer your question. Maybe another forum member can assist you with that one.

Generally speaking .000 or .0000 is plenty. AFAIK, it just depends on what is being toleranced, ASME GD&T standard, if I recall, states to match the nominal dimension. For example, in ReMark's image the nominal is 5.1499 and tolerance is +0.2000 -0.0000, so 4 decimal places in nominal and 4 decimal places in tolerance.

Don't rely on my posted image as it was included primarily to show what the result of making the changes to one's DimStyle would look like. I think that I have only been asked to add tolerances to one drawing out of the hundreds I have done so far for my current employer. Maybe I can find and post an image of that drawing. Let's see now, where did I put that drawing? Hmmmm?

What difference does that make, I merely used it as an example of the tolerance precision matching the nominal dimension? It is quite relavent.

I understand that, but there are no default settings for it? So I'm going to assume I insert the measurements according to the dimensions of the v-anvil? Also, when I do the dimensions which measurement do I choose?(linear, radius, etc) thanks.
For tolerances, match the places, as mentioned earlier. ReMark's drawing is a good example of using linear dims for a radial/diametral dimension. Usually, drawings should have default tolerances stated in (or near) the title block. Then you only have to add tolerances where they deviate from typical. If you post your drawing, then you could get further help, if needed.