Architectural desktop?!

GTizzle

Greetings all! new member to this site. pleased to meet you!

I was recently hired at an engineering firm & deal with building inspections. My primary job is to get floor plans up to spec so they can meet state windstorm standards.

[ sometimes having to redo on AutoCAD from a handdrawn plan.. yay! :glare: ]

I've been hearing quite a bit of hype on architectural desktop & would be very much interested in getting my company to invest in it if it would make my job easier & quicker.

Can anyone run through the Pros & Cons?

Much appreciated!!

-GT

Sure..

the pros..

-fastest way to draw arch plans once your ADT is setup to your needs

the cons

-setting up ADT to your needs (a hassle at times)

Contact your dealer, they should be able to send you an ADT demo.

You may also wish to consider Revit Structure if productivity is your main goal. Once mastered it is roughly 20% faster than ADT. It is an Autodesk product, but the interface is completely different so it takes some training to learn.

You may also wish to consider Revit Structure if productivity is your main goal. Once mastered it is roughly 20% faster than ADT. It is an Autodesk product, but the interface is completely different so it takes some training to learn.

True, there are also 3rd party add-ons that will add AEC functions to vanilla AutoCAD.

awesome! :)

I'll look into Revit, but kinda skeptical about having to go through the hassle of learning something entirely new? :huh:

thanx a bunch tho! I hear Architectural's got a pretty colorful price tag, you think it'd be worth it? or is Revit also a lil less on the price scale?

I'll look into Revit, but kinda skeptical about having to go through the hassle of learning something entirely new? :huh:

thanx a bunch tho! I hear Architectural's got a pretty colorful price tag, you think it'd be worth it? or is Revit also a lil less on the price scale?

I was recently told at an AutoCAD 2007/Revit 9 presentation that ADT/ABS will be getting phased out over the next couple years and replaced by Revit and various Revit add-ons for electrical, hvac, plumbing, etc. ADT has no intelligence what so ever and I've found tons of bugs in it. I'd go with Revit.

I was recently told at an AutoCAD 2007/Revit 9 presentation that ADT/ABS will be getting phased out over the next couple years and replaced by Revit and various Revit add-ons for electrical, hvac, plumbing, etc. ADT has no intelligence what so ever and I've found tons of bugs in it. I'd go with Revit.

:? hmmm.. Revit's that powerful of a software? sounds like a good deal.. although I focus more on the structural rather than the electrical, plumbing, et cetera.. but I'm sure my engineers will find that quite relieving

thanx for the heads up everyone! I would never have known about that program.. I love this forum! :D

Has revit's 2d tools gotten any better? I worked last year at a custom home builder/developer and we used ADT and honestly Revit would have been WAY overkill for us. Sure we used ADT for walls, doors, windows and such but using Revit for us would have been similar to having a Chevy 350 v8 on my string trimmer, sure it'll work but would be worth it ;)

• 3 years later...