Is AutoCAD Compatible with Apple?

BigDog

My company is looking into new computers and they have been looking at Apple produces. Is there anyone using Apple now that was on a PC. I would like to know how different it was to change. Thank you.

The change will be significant because some features were not ported over from the PC version to the Mac version. I believe I've seen a list of what's in and what's out posted elsewhere. Find it, read it, discuss it with your peers then come to an informed decision. My personal feeling is you should stick with the PC version unless there are other overriding factors you have failed to disclose.

Autodesk makes a version specifically for Mac but it still doesn't have all the features of regular AutoCAD, and as far as I know, the only flavor is vanilla (no Civil3D / Architecture / MEP etc) I believe you can emulate Windows and run AutoCAD that way, but I have no idea how well it works.

Another option would be to run Windows directly on your Mac via Boot Camp. Then you could load/run the PC version of AutoCAD.

• 3 weeks later...

Vectorworks for iOS is excellent but even harder to use than HD as it is a full blown 3D package that works in hybrid 2D/3D mode. If you are an experienced Autocad user you are going to find any new CAD software difficult to pick up. The basic concepts are the same, it is just the app specific way of doing things that needs to be mastered.

• 3 weeks later...

As in another thread I would ask "Why?". Why spend more for hardware and then have to re-do the way the company does work/business? Apple hardware will always be more expensive than PC hardware. In the other thread I priced out a mid to high end laptop and the Apple was $750 more than the same spec'ed PC.

I would have to question this business decision.