Distorted/Jagged Text When Using "DWG to PDF.pc3"

lamensterms

Hey guys,

Just a quick one - hopefully someone will be able to set me straight pretty easily.

When I print PDFs using the AutoCAD PDF creator (DWG to PDF.pc3).... I get a pretty nasty representation of the text within the DWGs (see attached image).

Jagged Text.jpg

Does anyone know of a setting or a workaround which would enable better quality PDF production?

Thanks so much for all your help.

More information is needed, please.

How does it look when printed from .dwg to paper? Print it way oversized. It may be hard to see at normal size.

How does the PDF look when printed to paper? Again, print it bigger than normal.

Is it possible the text is not lined up with the viewport? i.e. at a slight angle in any direction x, y, or z.

Is this a 2D or a 3D drawing?

That's too many questions and there are more. Please do the test plots and post the file or a portion of it that exhibits the behavior.

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies. Please find attached a DWG which exhibits the poor quality PDF production (in fact – all our drawings have the issue). I have also attached 2 PDFs – one which was created with the DWG to PDF PC3 file, and one which was created with PDFCreator (which has no distortion).

DWG to paper print is fine – no distortion on any font at any scale.

PDF to paper print is distorted. The distortion can easily be seen on a paper print of the PDF.

The text is lined up with the viewport.

The drawing is in model space but it is 2D (I consider it to be a 2D drawing even though the model space is potentially 3D). Would that be correct or would you consider any drawing which is in model space to be 3D?

The font name is isocp.shx. But that is not the only font which has the issue. I have attached an image of the distortion shown with the font ISO3098B.shx as well. It seems any ‘line’ font might have a problem.

ISO3098B.shx.jpg

Thanks again for your help guys, I look forward to hearing back.

Text Test (DWG to PDF).pdf

Text Test (PDFCreator).pdf

Text Test.dwg

one which was created with PDFCreator (which has no distortion).

DWG to paper print is fine – no distortion on any font at any scale.

Problem solved?

Problem solved?

The distortion is still present on PDFs created with DWG to PDF - which is the original problem.

----EDIT-----

Let me elaborate a little...

The reason I would like to use DWG to PDF rather than PDFCreator is because it works best the a batch PDF plot LISP routine which I use. I have found the DWG to PDF.PC3 is easier to manage within a LISP routine than an external PDF printer. So I do have a preference to DWG to PDF.PC3.

Edited by lamensterms

I cannot get the same text distortions when using DWG to PDF in Dwg TrueView 2013.

Perhaps you can update your version of AutoCAD.

I cannot get the same text distortions when using DWG to PDF in Dwg TrueView 2013.

nor can I with AutoCAD 2013 using the ACADE DWG to PDF plotter and monochrome.ctb file. There is very slight thickening of some parts when viewed at 800% but generally it is very clear.

This from the Help files in Dwg TrueView

Republish a Drawing Set

You can easily republish lists of drawing sheets that you previously saved in the Drawing Set Descriptions (DSD) file format.

After drawings have been updated, you may want to republish a drawing set for viewing or plotting. You can easily republish a collection of drawing sheets that you've saved a description of as a DSD (Drawing Set Descriptions) file. You can also load and republish BP3 (Batch Plot) files.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to follow up on this as a few months have passed.

I am still seeing the issue. I have since moved to a new machine with a new(er) version of AutoCAD and am still seeing the jagged lines.

I have found this thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?66159-Fillet-lines-are-off-from-straight-lines-on-PDF/page2

But there doesn't seem a be a real solution posted there.

Just wondering if anyone has come across anything since the last discussion.

Thanks guys.

I would try a different font to see if the problem happens to all of them or just a select few. I was having problems using Arial and switched to Century Gothic. I haven't had a problem since.

• 9 years later...

Hello sir. SAME thing happens to me weeks ago and I found your post. Anyways, I got it fixed now by changing print settings. Check in if you still have that problem, I am glad to help when necessary.

p1.png

p2.png