Starting out.

J17CWN

Hello all,

I have recently started a new job with an Engine repair and overhaul facility in Scotland as a Trainee Engineer.

Before this I have done two Courses in Cad, using AutoCAD and Inventor.

Now the Guys I work with don't use AutoCAD an awful lot, mainly checking drawings but they constantly outsource Drawing work when designing new fixtures.

Basically I have been tasked with being the main CAD guy in the company which will range from Design of new Fixtures to Site plans and general library maintenance. I'm currently waiting on new software coming in (inventor) but for the meantime I am using AutoCAD2000LT.

What I am lacking, is the knowledge of Drafting standards/Correct Annotating skills. Which I am hoping you can all help me with improving with any Websites or documents, just anything really.

Also any tips for the Road Ahead.

Thanks

Well look up to the top corner where it says Tutorials that will be a good start, then ask questions when stuck

Given that your range of potential drawings varies so widely I'm wondering what "standard" might be applicable to your situation. I was think BS 8888 but I'm not so sure.

BTW...Welcome to the CADTutor forum.

sparkyuk:

I looked through the list of Tutorials earlier but couldn't pick out anything I was looking for, I'll have another look.

ReMark:

BS 8888 is what I had also thought, I now however need to learn it/ put it into practice, and Thanks.

Welcome to CADTutor!!! You need to be more specific in what you need and I will guarantee we will do our best to help

sparkyuk:

I looked through the list of Tutorials earlier but couldn't pick out anything I was looking for, I'll have another look.

ReMark:

BS 8888 is what I had also thought, I now however need to learn it/ put it into practice, and Thanks.

I also use autocadLT 2000 and it is hard to find any help for that program. I will try to find some for you and let you know what i find in the meantime if i can help with a problem post it here, if i can't help, sooner or later someone will. I don't think the tutorials go back that far but could be wrong on that.

Hi all, What I'm looking for really is guidelines and examples of high quality Drawings with notes following BS 8888, so that I can learn to correctly set out my drawings.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for here unless someone is willing to share a set of drawings with you that conform to the standard.

I have found a book that i am going to purchase if i can get more information on it. " The essential guide to technical product specification - Engineering Drawings". Found this on "The Cad Setter out"

Hopefully this, or a similiar publication will help. Alas CAD tutor have still helped.

Thank you.

"general library maintenance"

are you talking a hardcopy library of drawings and specification books, or digital library of cag drawings that you will generate?

A digital library of drawings that I will generate and of course existing drawings or made by other users.

Hi all, What I'm looking for really is guidelines and examples of high quality Drawings with notes following BS 8888, so that I can learn to correctly set out my drawings.
BS 8888 is a set of standards, so your company can most certainly have access to this manual. In the United States we have NCS standards any my company regularly purchase the updated releases. It will give you all the information you need. Fonts, Text Heights, locations on the sheets for notes, revisions, etc. But be firmly aware that these are "recommended" and the only reason to follow these standards is if an outside client demands it. Internally, you and your company can choose whatever standard you want. Most people/companies usually stick to the foundational roots of the standards but deviate with their own practices - which is perfectly fine.

As for revisions specifically, Once you have a final design, make a PDF of it and archive it in a job folder. This way you have an un-editable document that has been documented. Each revision after that, cloud the changes (both additions and deletions), stamp it with a revision number, date and description and make a PDF again, archiving and documenting an un-editable version of it. This is usually a pretty standard practice but by all means, discuss with your company and team members and find out what's best for you all.

Hope this helps. :)

BS 8888 is a set of standards, so your company can most certainly have access to this manual. In the United States we have NCS standards any my company regularly purchase the updated releases. It will give you all the information you need. Fonts, Text Heights, locations on the sheets for notes, revisions, etc. But be firmly aware that these are "recommended" and the only reason to follow these standards is if an outside client demands it. Internally, you and your company can choose whatever standard you want. Most people/companies usually stick to the foundational roots of the standards but deviate with their own practices - which is perfectly fine.

As for revisions specifically, Once you have a final design, make a PDF of it and archive it in a job folder. This way you have an un-editable document that has been documented. Each revision after that, cloud the changes (both additions and deletions), stamp it with a revision number, date and description and make a PDF again, archiving and documenting an un-editable version of it. This is usually a pretty standard practice but by all means, discuss with your company and team members and find out what's best for you all.

Hope this helps. :)

I'd recommend a dwg or equivalent file as well with previous revisions (P's, A,B,C etc) with the PDF as well as then you have a previous version you can actively refer to and take from as needed. (Eg: Previous note, segment etc)