Issue with View Templates

addesigns

Running Revit Arch 2013 at work. I am having view template issues and i am going crazy.

I set up view templates and they have been working fine and dandy. Lately I have been having the linked structural model not showing up in some of them. I have the worksets, that the structural is on, turned on. I do not have any filters set for I know that will mess up a view template. The only way i have been able to get things to show up, even though I can see them when i click the lightbuld, is to copy the view, or create another elevation view.

When I do the above mentioned steps then I can see everything but then I need to make a new view template. This is ridiculous. Has anyone had this issue before. Ive had 2 other people at work take a look and it baffels them as well.

First, let me ask you this.... the original "View Template" you were using... where did that come from?

For the record, recreating View Templates and overwriting is nothing out of the ordinary.

The original View template I created after I had all the graphics configured to what I wanted it to look like. I figured I recreating probably is not out of the ordinary. I am able to make it all work, I just dont like that in the view, it no longer cuts the generic model like it is supposed to unless i creat another plan view at the same elevation and line it up accordingly. Otherwise it just shows the whole generic family from the top down.

Unfortunately no can do. Work is very protective and not worth risking my job. No offence, as I'm sure you can understand. I've been searching for the issue but to no avail. If you have a suggestion on where one can start it would be appreciated.

No offense taken. I knew it was a stretch but some people don't mind privately sharing models.

So on to your issue. The thing is, there's probably nothing "wrong". There's a good analogy about Revit when things like this happen. "Revit is like a woman. Revit will tell you that something's wrong, just not exactly what's wrong and it's your job to figure it out." Agree with this? I sure do! lol

Anyways, your problem simply needs to be pinned down. Refer to this list of Revit visibility hierarchy:

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2012/02/revit-visibility-hierarchy.html

One thing that I do know that will override Links when a View Template is applied is when you Link by View, or Link by Custom in the Visibility/Graphics manager. Also make sure that your Worksets aren't turned off if you have Worksharing enabled and utilize a Central Model. Another thing that can override Views is the Discipline. For example; if you have Discipline set to Mechanical, then architectural components will be halftoned. And be careful to see if items are Included or not Included on the View Template. Little things like this can really make a difference. View Range is another factor.... Plan vs Ceiling Plan matters. Etc... list goes on.

Can you may share some screenshots at least? If not, no worries. But one thing to realize is this... a View is a "window" of the model. If a View ever goes haywire on you, then start over. This is very common, not because it's an issue but because it's faster. It's usually faster to generate a new View, and apply a fresh View Template to it rather than pinning down issues from another View. I do this ALL the time, especially when we're on a project with multiple users that aren't as Revit savvy as they need to be. So don't get too discouraged for needing to freshen up your View Templates from time to time.

:)