AutoCAD 2014

Bill Tillman

We just received the new CD for AutoCAD 2014, as per our annual subscription service. And it dawned on me I've never done an upgrade of AutoCAD before. So before I mess something up, I thought I'd check to see who has done an update from 2013 to 2014. Does 2013 need to be uninstalled first or will the 2014 CD update my existing 2013 version?

Delays, delays...the DVD will not work in this desktop because it only has a CD/ROM drive. The mobo, cpu and memory are new but the IT guys left me with some old hardware. Will have to resolve this later.

And another thing...the current 2013 version I have loaded on my computer is known as AutoCAD Design Suite. The DVD they sent to us appears AutoDesk AutoCAD 2014. Is there a difference between these releases. I know we paid extra last year to get the PDF to DWG and other modules that were included with Design Suite.

Edited by Bill Tillman

Does 2013 need to be uninstalled first or will the 2014 CD update my existing 2013 version?

Neither, By default, 2014 will install into a different directory and you can continue to run either or both, even both at the same time (because you're on Subscription)

And another thing...the current 2013 version I have loaded on my computer is known as AutoCAD Design Suite. The DVD they sent to us appears AutoDesk AutoCAD 2014. Is there a difference between these releases. I know we paid extra last year to get the PDF to DWG and other modules that were included with Design Suite.

Design Suite2013 to AutoCAD2014 doesn't sound right. Autodesk actually makes it pretty difficult to "downgrade" like that.

There are several different AutoCAD "Design Suites", they are just AutoCAD bundled with additional Autodesk products. The PDF thing is probably Raster Design, which is part of all the bundles now. If you know your Subscription account number and your Subscription Contract manager hasn't blocked it, you can log onto Subscription Center and check for yourself which Subscription you have, and you can also download any/all of it from there. The software is all the same whether it comes on DVD or download (actually the suites come on thumb drives now) it's the license number and Subscripton Contract number that are important to install/activate. (see screenshot of Subscription Center Download page below)

As for installation, turn off your antivirus and MAKE SURE YOU"RE LOGGED ON WITH FULL ADMIN RIGHTS, otherwise installing a new version should be as simple as starting the installer and answering a few questions. 2014 will detect that you already have AutoCAD installed and it will even give you the option to transfer your setting/profiles into 2014. If you do migrate your settings, when you start 2014, it's going to look and feel very much like the way you have 2013 set up.

SubscriptionDownload.jpg

Edited by nestly

You can also download the install since you can't use the disk.

If you decide to uninstall 2013, search google for Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions.

Thanks JD. I am stuck for the moment waiting for our reseller to open their offices up. I want to get it straight from the horses mouth on what we're entitled to here. All I know is that with TTL we're paying about $5,300 per seat for new software.