Best software to design gaming controllers???....

smorales02

I am looking to see what software would work best to model gaming controllers (xbox/playstation) and be able to modify to show custom paintjobs..make sense?

I want to start painting controllers and such but want to give people a visual of what it will look like before actually doing it, sort of like a proof design.

Im thinking a 3D software would be best as i can show a more realistic representation (in case a logo or graphic bends around the curves and such)

Anyone know what would be best used in this situation?

There are literally dozens of programs you could use. Some are extremely expensive, some are cheap and some are even free. What is your budget and what is your experience with 3D programs?

just realized i posted with two different account, my bad, didnt realize i had two hahah.

I would prefer free :) and have experience with Autocad and sketchup..I would have to think that there is a better suited program to model a controller in...

Im not looking for anything fancy, just something that i can edit and show different color schemes and custom decals and such..to show a final proof of the end product

thats why i love this forum..ive never heard of that before and seems to be something i can use often..thanks man

While blender is a good choice I would also add Sculptris to that.

And just like Blender, Sculptris is also free :)

It is pretty much a program like Zbrush and Mudbox. You can model in Sculptris and then bring into Blender for rendering.

Good luck.

which one do you guys think is easier to pick up and start modeling with, Sculptris or Blender?

Im hoping to be able to model the 360 controller than know enough to model the one and ps4 controllers when they come out, though im not sure were to start..lol

downloaded blender last night and have been playing with it, but struggling..advice? besides go read tutorial haahhaha

I would recommend learning Blender first, then move on to Sculptris later if you want to learn digital sculpting. But Blender also has multi-resolution sculpting tools too, so you can pretty much do it all in one program. Digital sculpting is a whole other can of worms though. It takes a long time, and lots of practice, to become good at sculpting. And you will need a Wacom tablet, (trying to sculpt with a mouse is like trying to draw with a rock), so I would stick with Blender for now.

As for struggling to learn the program, that's going to be the case with any program you choose. You're not going to be up and running in just one day. It's going to take some time to get used to the interface, figure out where everything is and how it all works and become comfortable with the program. Just go through the tutorials on the site, of which there are many, and if you get stuck on anything they have a pretty good user base so just get on their forum http://blenderartists.org/forum/ and start asking questions.

I thought sculptris was pretty easy to just jump in and get started (shrug). I agree that Blender is a more rounded suite but WAY harder to learn.

To the OP I say watch lots and lots of Blender videos.

Do you have vanilla AutoCAD 2012. AutoCAD has a good set of 3d conceptual modeling tools on it's own now. No where as good as the big boys but doable. The mesh tools might be worth a look. CAD64 has a point on the Wacom, they make some things easier.

I thought sculptris was pretty easy to just jump in and get started (shrug).

I didn't mean to imply that Sculptris was more difficult to learn than Blender. It's not. It's much easier because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that other programs have. I just think Blender would be a better choice because it is much more versatile. Sculptris is more of a specialty program, and you will need a pressure sensitive tablet if you want to work with a digital sculpting program. You just can't do it effectively with a mouse. And it does take time to get used to the whole sculpting process. It's totally different from poly modeling. But as always, it certainly won't hurt to download and learn to use both programs. You can never have too many tools in your toolbox. ;)