I need help making this 3D part.

ALUX

So I have this drawing that I am trying to convert into 3D with the given dimensions. It seems like an easy part to make but I am not sure how to make this part. Maybe I am overthinking this.

Here's the drawing.

Edited by ALUX

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• ALUX

• neophoible

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And this cover comes to a slight peak in the center? It's not flat in other words.

That's what I am thinking. This other drawing call it out better. What throws me off is the 1" borders?

Edited by ALUX

OK...my original thought was the 1" border as you call it would be a flange that mates up with another flanged section and it might all be secured with sheet metal screws.

FrameTopCover1.jpg

I don't work in sheet metal. This is my interpretation of what I would call a flat "frame top" cover. Top view is to the left. Underside is to the right. The two stiffeners would go to the inside corner of the mating piece. Think of the cover as a lid on a shoe box. The one inch "border" would sit on a mating flange.

That's weird. The OP actually had two images posted yesterday now there seems to be none. I wonder why he removed them?

Frame1.jpg

I believe this is a fair representation of the first image the OP posted yesterday. There were no other views or sections.

Frame2.jpg

And this is what the second image looked like as best as I can recall. Note that the side view indicates a sloped top.

BTW...both images had the following words on the inside of the frame: X Stiffener Break.

I think you interpreted the "x stiffener break as multiple parts.

In sheet metal HVAC ductwork there is a slight "x-pucker" put on large flat panels (or even small panels) to give them a bit of strength an prevent "warbling" sound as air passes through.

If you thing about it or if you can get access to an HVAC duct, it you will recognize the x feature.

And then there is a flange around the perimeter for attachment to other pieces.

Autodesk Inventor has tools for depicting the x-break and creating the flanges.

In AutoCAD I would Loft the rectangle to a point creating the x-break feature and then Presspull the rectangle to add a "box" to the loft for the flanges. Finally, I would add some fillets for the bends and then Shell to the sheet metal thickness removing the bottom face of the "box".

Thanks for the explanation as I have no knowledge of HVAC ductwork to speak of although I think I did guess well when it came to the flange. Since the OP is using plain AutoCAD and not Inventor he'll have a little more work to do then. I got the feeling the OP is somewhat of a novice when it comes to 3D.

That's weird. The OP actually had two images posted yesterday now there seems to be none. I wonder why he removed them?
Yes, that's weird. It looked to me like he blanked a bit of one of the images as well.

I got the feeling the OP is somewhat of a novice when it comes to 3D.
Or a student?