Autosketch 9 to AutoCAD LT 2014

ATS1237

For starters, I'm not a drafter by trade. I only started learning a few years ago, I work outside, in the dirt:D. So I consider myself computer / CAD stupid.

I ALMOST have my company convinced to switching from Autosketch 9 to Auto CAD LT 2014. But, have hit a HUGE snag. I'm lost. I know CAD does what we need it to, and we can transfer our .skf (autosketch) to .dwg and then work on them in CAD. That part I've figured out. I bought the "Infinite Skills: Learning Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2014" DVD as well as the "Mastering AutoCAD 2013 & AutoCAD LT 2013" book (2014 hasn't been released yet).

So, I was able to open an old AS drawing in CAD, and move things around, switch layers, little things. BUT I can't get it to scale!! We use the 1" = 10', 20', 30', etc scale and that's what I think it was when I converted from .skf to .dwg. But it doesn't print that way, and I can't figure out how to get the drawing in the print area.

Every time I try, I think my drawing disappears.

I REALLY want to switch to CAD, but if it takes me a long time to learn the basics, I'm afraid it's going to get shot down. Thanks for any tips, help, support, recommendations you can provide.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ATS1237

• ReMark

• Dana W

• mikekmx

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you working with a paper space and at least one viewport or are you working strictly in model space?

Can you attach a copy of one of these drawings to your next post?

BTW...how are you making the transition from skf to dwg? Via Autosketch?

We need one of your converted DWG files. A PDF is no good for our purposes.

Care to answer the questions (lines 1 and 3)?

skf drawing.jpg Ok, I think I got it? The tiny one is supposed to be 1"=30' scale. It's the one that I converted from .skf to .dwg. The other one is an AS map, nothing done to it in CAD.

I THINK I'm working in the model space and a viewport? I keep jumping from the model tab to the layout 1 tab.

To convert the files I do a save as .dwg rather than .skf

CAD printout.jpg

Like I said I'm computer stupid, how do I attach a .dwg file here?

The same way you attached the image. The only caveat is the file size is limited to 1MB for DWG files I believe.

"Like I said I'm computer stupid, how do I attach a .dwg file here? "

I'm trying the best I can. I'm guessing at some point, you were trying to learn how to do this as well. I don't know how much better I can explain that I'm not a pro, or going to school for this other that to say "I'm computer / CAD stupid".

I was under the impression that I posted under the AutoCAD BEGINNERS' area forum, or was I mistaken?

It will not let me attach a file code, if I try to attach something it says I can only attach .jpg, .jpng, etc.

I'm going to say that NO, I don't know how to change the scale in the viewport. I'm trying to follow the book & DVD as best as I can.

The same way you attached the image. The only caveat is the file size is limited to 1MB for DWG files I believe.

It WILL NOT let me. The "select all" files is highlighted, the ONLY ones that show up are the images that I already attached.

It WILL NOT let me. The "select all" files is highlighted, the ONLY ones that show up are the images that I already attached.

The first thing you want to do is click the "Go Advanced" button under the post window. Then you will be clicking the paperclip icon. You have to click the Add Files button at the upper right of the 'File Upload Manager' window, then "Browse" to, and click on your .dwg file. Then click the "Upload" button. It might be slow, but then the drawing file will either appear in the "attachments" bar at the bottom of the File Upload Manager, or in the "Home" folder at the top. If it appears in the Home folder, just drag it to the Attachments bar. After all that, I think there is a "Done" button. The file will be attached to your post then.

Go to your layout.

Type the word SCALELISTEDIT. Press the Enter key.

Click on the Add button on the left.

For the name of the scale type 1"=30'-0".

For Drawing Units type 360.

Click the OK button.

Let me know when you have done that.

The first thing you want to do is click the "Go Advanced" button under the post window. Then you will be clicking the paperclip icon. You have to click the Add Files button at the upper right of the 'File Upload Manager' window, then "Browse" to, and click on your .dwg file. Then click the "Upload" button. It might be slow, but then the drawing file will either appear in the "attachments" bar at the bottom of the File Upload Manager, or in the "Home" folder at the top. If it appears in the Home folder, just drag it to the Attachments bar. After all that, I think there is a "Done" button. The file will be attached to your post then.

THANK YOU! I think it is working, but is taking awhile to upload

Go to your layout.

Type the word SCALELISTEDIT. Press the Enter key.

Click on the Add button on the left.

For the name of the scale type 1"=30'-0".

For Drawing Units type 360.

Click the OK button.

Let me know when you have done that.

Ok, I did that. Still waiting for the file to upload

Go to your paper space layout.

Open the Properties palette.

Left click on your viewport.

Look on your Properties palette and find where it says Standard Scale.

Click on the arrow to the right. A scalelist should appear. Select the new scale you just created.

The viewport should now have a scale of 1"=30'-0" assigned to it and your model space objects will appear to have been resized.

Go to your paper space layout.

Open the Properties palette.

Left click on your viewport.

Look on your Properties palette and find where it says Standard Scale.

Click on the arrow to the right. A scalelist should appear. Select the new scale you just created.

The viewport should now have a scale of 1"=30'-0" assigned to it and your model space objects will appear to have been resized.

OK, the properties palette is open, and under Msc: there is "annotation scale" but no "standard scale".

Edit: found the scale on the bottom of the screen.

Ok, I THINK I have the scale changed. Now how, or at least what terms should I look up to find the answer should I use to move the image to the "print area"?

And for what it's worth, I do appreciate the help.

Move the image to the print area? Not sure what you are asking.

If the plot plan is not located within the viewport as you would like you would have to click inside the viewport to activate it. Then you could use the PAN command to reposition your view of the model space objects. After doing so you may have to reenter paper space and adjust the size of the viewport via the "grips" at the corners one sees when the viewport is selected. Finally, I would suggest that you right click on the viewport and look for the "Display locked" option and set this to "Yes". Why? Because it keeps you from inadvertently changing the viewport scale which should still be set to 1"=30'-0".

Did you go through the Page Setup Manager and select your printer/plotter and paper size? What size paper will you be printing to?

For starters, I'm not a drafter by trade. I only started learning a few years ago, I work outside, in the dirt:D. So I consider myself computer / CAD stupid.

I ALMOST have my company convinced to switching from Autosketch 9 to Auto CAD LT 2014. But, have hit a HUGE snag. I'm lost. I know CAD does what we need it to, and we can transfer our .skf (autosketch) to .dwg and then work on them in CAD. That part I've figured out. I bought the "Infinite Skills: Learning Autodesk AutoCAD LT 2014" DVD as well as the "Mastering AutoCAD 2013 & AutoCAD LT 2013" book (2014 hasn't been released yet).

So, I was able to open an old AS drawing in CAD, and move things around, switch layers, little things. BUT I can't get it to scale!! We use the 1" = 10', 20', 30', etc scale and that's what I think it was when I converted from .skf to .dwg. But it doesn't print that way, and I can't figure out how to get the drawing in the print area.

Every time I try, I think my drawing disappears.

I REALLY want to switch to CAD, but if it takes me a long time to learn the basics, I'm afraid it's going to get shot down. Thanks for any tips, help, support, recommendations you can provide.

AutoSketch is nice at an amateur level :-) i got a free copy on a magazine coverdisc years ago

imo forget buying AutoCAD....use DraftSight if it's 2D only you need. (it's free, very well written, autocad compatible and well supported)

Maybe get full autocad IF you need 3D, but for the pain learning a near absolete prog (imo) perhaps consider another prog.