Slicing in 3D wants me to create a block definition?

TED Jordan

Hi guys,

For the life of me I can't remember how to do this so it doesn't ask for a block definition!

I have an extruded region of 50 x 50 (SHS) that I want to put a 45 degree mitre on, so I orientate my UCS to ortho, I have a reference line drawn over the job for my 45 degree/3 points to pick...

I Select 'both' to keep and it asks me for a block definition?

Older versions have never asked me for this I'm certain and I'll had this before I just can't remember how to counter it - any clues?

Jordan

Welcome to Cadtutor.

AutoCAD can't slice a block, and it can't slice with a block, so message seems rather confusing. Can you post the text from the Text Window (F2) after trying to SLICE. This is what it should look like when using SLICE with the 3point option.

Command: slice

Select objects to slice: 1 found

Select objects to slice:

Specify start point of slicing plane or [planar 
Object/Surface/Zaxis/View/XY/YZ/ZX/3points] <3points>: 3p
Specify first point on plane:
Specify second point on plane:
Specify third point on plane:
Specify a point on desired side or [keep Both sides] <Both>:

Thanks for replying nestly.

I feel like a noob - spent the past hour or so trying to figure it then realised whereas I was used to having to give three reference points then typing 'B' as long as the UCS is orientated correctly so my x/y plane is at 90 degrees to my splice plane it'll slice along the first two points. I wasn't taking notice that once I'd clicked the second point it was prompting me to keep both sides or choose one to keep, and clicking a third point, which by then had cancelled the slice command and when I then typed 'b' for 'both sides' it was on a fresh command being..... block definition.

doh...

Jordan

It happens... sometimes the mind gets locked into a certain sequence... and the obvious is overlooked.

Referring to the command line (text window) is usually a good way to see where the sequence is failing.