migration toolbars from ACAD 21007 to ACAD 2014

Hi,

i'm italiann i'm sorry for my bad english: i'll try to explain my question better i can :D

i wish to migrate all default icons of AutoCAD2007 to AutoCAD2014: i' ll wish to overwrrite default icons of 2014 with icons 2007

is it possible?>

i know that i can do this with cui

save every icon in a bmp file

and sustitute every icon of 2014 with bmp file of 2007....

but i think it s so boring to do...

does it exist any faster mode?

thanks in advance for answers :D

P.S. i tried to export in a cui file all default toolbar of 2007: ii opened it in 2014... but icons are 2014 default!!!!

same file cui opened in 2007 and 2014 has different icons images!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alninek

• ReMark

• nestly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it would be unwise to overwrite any icons or toolbars in AutoCAD 2014 with those from AutoCAD 2007. It begs the question as to why you even bothered to upgrade. You should have just continued using 2007. Now, as far as custom icons and toolbars, yes, I can see where you might want to migrate those but they should all be included in a custom CUIx that is loaded separately.

I think it would be unwise to overwrite any icons or toolbars in AutoCAD 2014 with those from AutoCAD 2007. It begs the question as to why you even bothered to upgrade. You should have just continued using 2007. Now, as far as custom icons and toolbars, yes, I can see where you might want to migrate those but they should all be included in a custom CUIx that is loaded separately.

thank you for your answer ;-)

i want to change icons because i ve view problem with my eyes... and 2014 icons are really awful... they seems to be all similar :-(

It sounds like you are going about this the wrong way. I'd use a utility program that performs like a magnifier to read the icons.

It sounds like you are going about this the wrong way. I'd use a utility program that performs like a magnifier to read the icons.

it could be a solution... but i think problem is really the drawing of icon...i find new icons less clear than the oldest... it`' obviously my opinion :-)

..remain the question... is it possible change the default 2014 with the default 2007???

Give us a couple examples of 2014 icons that you would replace with icons from 2007.

Are we to assume that you are NOT using the Ribbon and instead are using an AutoCAD Classic workspace?

Nevermind. I found a solution to your problem. Go to Options > Display.

UseLargeButtons.jpg

Use LARGE buttons for Toolbars.

I don't think it is possible to replace the default icons in 2014 with those from 2007. And I don't think it would be worth the time and effort designing custom icons for 2014 that mimic the ones in 2007 either.

Edited by ReMark

i tried it... but with large buttons it hasnt been showed all my toolbars....

but thank you for your suggestion :-)

Go dual screen and put all your toolbars on the second monitor.

My guess is the default icons for AutoCAD 2007 are stored in a .dll file. You would have to find this file and swap it with it's counterpart in AutoCAD 2014. Assuming for a moment this technique would actually work what happens to the icons in 2014 that support new commands? Wouldn't they just disappear?

I think the whole idea is fraught with unforeseen problems unless you are some kind of programmer and have nothing better to do.

A couple of options: Edit the existing icons or create your own custom icons.

Edited by ReMark

Apparently, the toolbar and menu icons are stored in ACADBTN.XMX however I don't think a direct replacement of the file, (or the icons inside the file) would be fruitful, or wise. IMO, your best solution is to copy/transfer the 2011 toobars into a custom cuix, add the 2007 icons to that cuix, then load your toolbars from the custom cuix, this way you can reuse the toolbars in your custom cui.

The downside is that the Ribbon will still be using the new style buttons, and I don't know of any way to automate the process.

What program would have be used to edit the ACADBTN.XMX file?

I used CUI comand on autocad... i exported only default toolbars in a .CUI file ( example 2007.cui)

then i imported acad2007.cui in acad 2014 with the same comand CUI

but...

acad2007.cui in ACAD 2014 has different icons... the same as acad 2014 default... and dont know why :?

First. My question was about editing the XMX file that nestly mentioned. See post #10.

Second. Importing the CUI file from 2007 into 2014 is not going to work. You need the file in AutoCAD 2007 that contains the button images.

Thanks for your quick answer

First. My question was about editing the XMX file that nestly mentioned. See post #10.

What program would have be used to edit the ACADBTN.XMX file?

i havent used any kind of program...if i ve understood your question

Second. Importing the CUI file from 2007 into 2014 is not going to work. You need the file in AutoCAD 2007 that contains the button images.

Why? this is interesting.... .CUI file doesnt contain images buttons?

How i can make file that contains all images buttons? How i can import it into ACAD 2014?

I don't think the acad.cui contains any icons, I believe it references the xmx file. (I'm not even certain the new icons are bmp, they may be .png) You "may" be able to replace the 2011 xmx with the 2007 xmx, but I'm sure you're not going to like the results (if the cui works at all.) Partial cui's do store icons if the icon for the tool is different than the default icon.

I think the time you'll invest trying to find a way to automatically replace the icons will end up being greater than just manually exporting from 2007 and then importing into a 2011 custom cui.

My question, regarding the XMX file, was directed at nestly not at you.

As nestly pointed out the CUI does NOT store the images for the buttons.

As nestly pointed out the CUI does NOT store the images for the buttons.

I don't think the acad.cui contains any icons, I believe it references the xmx file. (I'm not even certain the new icons are bmp, they may be .png) You "may" be able to replace the 2011 xmx with the 2007 xmx, but I'm sure you're not going to like the results (if the cui works at all.) Partial cui's do store icons if the icon for the tool is different than the default icon.

I think the time you'll invest trying to find a way to automatically replace the icons will end up being greater than just manually exporting from 2007 and then importing into a 2011 custom cui.

So... i'm going nuts.... :-P

Sorry... i dont understand if what i asked is possible or not...

nestly suggested this: "IMO, your best solution is to copy/transfer the 2014 toobars into a custom cuix, add the 2007 icons to that cuix, then load your toolbars from the custom cuix, this way you can reuse the toolbars in your custom cui.

I suggested three options: 1) Use large buttons but do so with a dual monitor setup putting all your toolbars on the second monitor, 2) edit the existing images for the buttons or 3) create new images.

That's a total of four options. Pick one and get to work. If it fails pick another option. Repeat the process until either all options fail or one of them works. All options are going to require some work on your part. If it is important enough to you then get started now.

I'm not familiar with XMX filetype... it appears to be a compiled file.

Sorry... i dont understand if what i asked is possible or not...

If this is truly a matter of accessibility, and not preference, I suggest you contact Autodesk directly. Otherwise, I'll be happy to show you how to manually export your buttons from 2007 and import them into a custom 2011 cui, if you're interested in that solution of course

nestly suggested this: "IMO, your best solution is to copy/transfer the 2014 toobars into a custom cuix, add the 2007 icons to that cuix, then load your toolbars from the custom cuix, this way you can reuse the toolbars in your custom cui.

I suggested three options: 1) Use large buttons but do so with a dual monitor setup putting all your toolbars on the second monitor, 2) edit the existing images for the buttons or 3) create new images.

That's a total of four options. Pick one and get to work. If it fails pick another option. Repeat the process until either all options fail or one of them works. All options are going to require some work on your part. If it is important enough to you then get started now.

thanks to your answer ..and your patient!

i ll try to export toolbasrs 2014 into a cuix files:

than i ll transfer all saved 2007 icons into this 2014 cuix

(does this operation can do in Autocad2014???)

than i ll reuse this 2014 cuix with 2007 icons into acad 2014

Thank you all for patient and explanation :-)