Acurate selection using zoom

This is a recurring annoyance - If I have a long column (100) of blocks on, say, 1" centers. I want to select block numbers 1 through 98 and copy them to another location. I enter CO, left click and hold to create a selection fence starting at the #1 end, then zoom in (using the wheel) to the last 4 blocks to accurately place the end of the fence between #98 & 99. I'm expecting to have selected #1 - 98 but find that I have only copied 97 and 98. Blocks that were no longer visible on the screen are not copied.

I'm sure that there is an easy solution but I haven't found it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure that there is an easy solution but I haven't found it.

Actually, there's not an easy solution, Autodesk Knowledge Base --> Objects are lost from selection set

You may find QuickSelect helpful. Start QS, use the "Select Objects" button to create a selection window, then apply a QS Filter to the selection.

Work in the opposite direction, make the tight selection first, zoom out and finish the selection without zooming in.

Have you tried setting the system variable PICKDRAG to 1? It defaults to 0.

I believe that in recent releases the default value has been changed to 2.

pickdrag default.jpg

The task could easily be accomplished via the use of the .DSVIEWER command (aerial view).

That's old school, isn't it?

I've heard mention of it, but never tried it.

Hey, that is pretty cool, just tried it!

Thanks ReMark!

Can someone explain how DSView is used to eliminate the selection set problem? I'm still losing the objects that aren't displayed in the main screen when the selection set is completed.

Can someone explain how DSView is used to eliminate the selection set problem? I'm still losing the objects that aren't displayed in the main screen when the selection set is completed.

It sounds to me as if your technique may be off. .DSVIEWER does work as it allows for zooming in and out of portions of one's drawing transparently (i.e. - the command you are in does not get cancelled).

While we're checking variables what are PICKFIRST and PICKADD set to?

In the following example, how would I use DSVIEW to select all the circles, but not the rectangles? As far as I can tell, objects that are windowed, but not in the main display are not included in the selection set, just like using the built in transparent zoom/pan

DSView.gif

Why not select all of them while you are zoomed out and then zoom in to deselect the one(s) that you don't want?

DeSelect the how? By zooming in close enough to be able to shift-select each rectangle without accidentally selecting circle? There are 20 columns of circles/rectangles in my example... what if there were 100 or 1000?

Setting PICKDRAG to 1 and picking the circles individually would work but it would also be more of a PITA.

I used the feature back when it was solely an exclusive feature of graphics cards and software produced by a company called nth Engine. However AutoDesk bought them out and decided to start messing with it (i.e.- they screwed it up). I continued to use it for a couple of years afterwards then finally gave up.

Update.

Using AutoCAD 2014 where PICKDRAG can be set to 2 also does not work. Guess it is back to the think tank. Sorry about that guys.

Edited by ReMark

DeSelect the how? By zooming in close enough to be able to shift-select each rectangle without accidentally selecting circle? There are 20 columns of circles/rectangles in my example... what if there were 100 or 1000?

I was responding to the OPs question. It just so happened that you posted while I was typing and it looked like I was responding to you. He is using fence selection on an column of 100 objects trying to get 98 of them. I'm saying select all of them and deselect using his preferred method.

Interesting. Actually it does work in an odd sort of way. The user would have to zoom in and build individual selection windows around all the circles he/she could see at one time on their screen then change the view (via the aerial view) to another portion of their screen and do it again. This is not how it worked when nth Engine designed the program. Trivia: nth Engine was located in Texas. The software required a dongle. The cost of an nth Engine graphics card with the aerial viewing software was $3000. This was back in 1985.

OK...confirmed using AutoCAD 2014.

My test was a similar rectangle and circle that I arrayed in 12 columns and 12 rows (144 rectangles/circles). I ran the test using the Move command.

Using the aerial viewer I zoomed in on the four bottom rows and built individual windows around the circles in each of the first three rows (a window captured 12 circles). Switched my view so I could see the top four rows and did the same thing for three of the four. So now I had selected selected 3x12x2 or 72 circles. Finished the Move command by dragging everything way off to one side. All 72 circles came along for the ride.

Bottom line. It works but you need a certain "technique" to get the desired results. Is it perfect? Probably not but it will do in a pinch.

@ Rob, thanks for the clarification.

I generally agree that objects that are scrolled off screen should not be included.. It's a safety feature to help users avoid inadvertently modifying objects they didn't realize they selected, but there also should be a way to override this behavior.

I can replicate the same behavior without using the aerial view just relying on my scroll button to zoom in and out of my drawing. Variables set as follows:

PICKFIRST=1

PICKADD=2

PICKDRAG=0

Quite primitive way but it works.:)

Draw rectangular around objects, then zoom out and select within borders. Can you PLine to see it better.