Adding an object to multiple layers

anandnayer

Hi All,

Just wondering whether there is a way to add an object to multiple layers. For example, if I have 2 layers circles and geometries - I would like to add a circle to both these layers such that if I turned either of them on the circle would be visible.

Additionally, is it possible to Group multiple layers into a single layer, for example the above 2 layers circles and geometries and into a third or fourth layer.

Thanks

1) You can certain have a "copy" on a different layer. The COPYTOLAYER command simplifies this.

2) You can't really "group" layers as far as I know, but perhaps putting both copies into a block would help. This way you could control each object's visibility with their individual layers, but you can also control their display at the same time by controlling the layer of the block.

Probably need more specifics about what you're trying to do, to give a more complete answer

Hi there,

The copy to layer command worked, after a few attempts :D.

For the second one, I am trying to create an electrical schematic. In this electrical schematic, I want the cables to be associated with a component but I also want the component+cables to be part of other sub assemblies. Some assemblies might have this component and others may not.

In other words, I want to be able to see the component+cables on a layer but I also want to be able to see the component+cables as part of a larger assembly.

I hope that makes it clearer?:oops:

In AutoCAD, I would probably just put each type of object on it's own layer and use Layout/viewports to control which layers are displayed in that layout/viewport.

I'm not familiar with AutoCAD Mechanical, but if it uses the Display Manager like AMEP and ACA, I believe that would do precisely what you've described.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

You could essentially "group" layers by creating and saving LAYER FILTERS to describe typical layer visibility configurations which you

might wish to display together.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

You could essentially "group" layers by creating and saving LAYER FILTERS to describe typical layer visibility configurations which you

might wish to display together.

+1 You can do this in the "Layer States Manager"