Custom column Grid Problems

JamFam

I am using AutoCAD Architecture (ACAD) 2011. I want to create a custom column grid whereby the vertical lines are longer in length than the horizontal lines. When I make changes to the right or left sides in the setup box the result effects both vertical and horizontal lines. I don't understand it. Also I want to offset a few of the bubbles because they are to close to each other. How do I do that?and can it be done after the grid is complete and in Model space? It sure would be nice if you could preview the custom grid on your work before clicking the dreaded ok button.

Isn't there an EQUAL X AND Y SPACING option in the dialog?

Might it be enabled?

I know the attachment is not the dialog box with which you are working,

I am on Autocad Vanilla,

but like this perhaps?

column spacing option.JPG

Sorry but it seems you've misunderstood. I'm speaking about the enhanced custom grid found on the home tab not the standard grid snap setup. See jpg screenshot.

custom grid.jpg

What program are you using? Is it AutoCAD Architecture by any chance?

Can't you edit the lengths via their grips?

From your Help file...

Tip You can also change the size of a grid by dragging its grip points. When you have a manual grid, you drag the individual lines, and not the grid.

Seems the primary extensions for gridline length for Left, Right, Top, and Bottom is done with the Advanced button, but I think the final adjustments (including bubbles) are grip edits after the grid is placed. I only have 2013 installed, but it seems to follow this demo using 2012

Also, there is a sub-forum for ACA, I'm sure a moderator will move this there shortly.

As stated in my 1st post I'm using Autocad Architecture 2011. I have viewed this video a couple of times. I'll try to figure out what to do to achieve my end results and will post later. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks

If you have viewed the video by nestly a couple of times you should be able to do it blindfolded. nestly's video's are amongst the best posted. What seems to be the problem?

If you have viewed the video by nestly a couple of times you should be able to do it blindfolded. nestly's video's are amongst the best posted. What seems to be the problem?

Actually, I found that one on youtube, and it's better tutorial than I could make.

I saw your name followed by a reference to a video so I naturally assumed it was you the Steven Spielberg of CADTutor! My apologies for the mix up.

Thanks all. I have been attempting to grasp this feature of ACAD 2011. I am making some progress by making plenty of errors. The video referenced above is good but lacks more in depth editing tips and teachings. Watching this video to set up a grid is great but after that then what? Like so many features in ACAD the basics just cover the surface of what can be more complex features. Enough ranting. I do have another related question about these grids. My question is this. Because when using the custom grid it already comes with a linetype. The problem I'm having is that the center2 line that is the default linetype just doesn't print as a center line. It shows up as a continuous line. I've gone into my linetype dialogue box and made sure that the "Use paperspace units for scaling" is unchecked. Makes no difference. The center line prints as a continuous line. Any thoughts on what might fix this? I haven't actually printed out a sheet to be sure but when I view in print preview the center line is continuous.

Thanks

Stykface; What would you recommend to view as a "get your feet wet" kinda video? I've seen Revit here and there but how does it compare to ACAD and how easy or hard might it be to transition?

Thanks

There's a ton of videos on YouTube that you can look for. As far as it comparing to AutoCAD... well, lets just say it's not even in the same category. For building design Revit is where it's at. There are just too many reasons to list.