Function keys repeating last function when pressed! ACAD2014

tmelancon

For some odd reason :shock: when we use our functions keys it always repeats the previous function.

If we are drawing a line and want to toggle ORTHO then change ISOPLANE, after we press F8 for ortho then press F5 to re-orient our isoplane pressing F5 actually toggles ORTHO, then when we press F8 to turn ORTHO back on it toggles F5 for re-orientation of our isoplane. So forth and so on!! So frustrating!

We just switched from Autocad 2002 to Autocad 2014 and are absolutely loving it but of course are getting comfortable with our systems and are notices quirks such as this. Anybody have the same issue?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmelancon

• ReMark

• rkent

• slouviere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey ReMark,

Yes and I currently have 3 other CAD designers working on identical stations that are now doing the same thing.

I experienced this issue on day 1. Last I remember, after the work day was over and came into the office the next day, I have not had any issues since. However, my other CAD guys/gals are now starting to experience this. Not sure what it could be.

So far I absolutely love ACAD2014 it is absolutely mind blowing the things I am able to get done, not to mention complete customization. Anyhow, it is the little quirks and other mind boggling errors that accompany the new program that I am not familiar with.

Thank God for forums and "Quantum Mechanics" :shock: such as yourself! HAHA Brainstorming is such a good thing!

LMK

I would say yes because I no longer have that issue. If memory serves me well, I did not physically address the issue with a fix. It just started doing it one day, gone the next. My CAD guys never had it from day 1 but now are experiencing it. Which is weird because we are on week 2 with the new stations and are using the same templates and settings and stuff that we have been for years (2 weeks on 2014), but curious as to why this just happens?

I am always good when it comes to troubleshooting and trial & error and will most likely figure it out but these forums are so useful and you [forum beasts] always seem very helpful so I figured I would throw it out there.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?78467-OrthoSnap-Ortho-Strange-Happenings...&highlight=FUNCTION+KEYS

Hey ReMark I was able to locate another thread that speaks of the same exact problem that we are having and it seems that you have replied a few times in here. This is identical to the issue we are having.

If I am drawing and want my ORTHO on then want to toggle another function I would simply hit F8 (which is the first function, and it does in fact toggle correctly) HOWEVER, when I also press another function key right after, say, F3 for OSNAP it actually toggles OFF the ORTHO as if I was hitting F8, then if we hit F8 to undo what that function key just mistakenly did, it toggles the OSNAP as if we hit F3. Very VERY strange. Hope we can find someone who has had this issue.

We are coming from 2002 and have never EVER experienced this issue. I have also worked in 2006, 2008, 2011 and have never experienced this...

I see that the person who experienced the problem never answered my last question and he also failed to post a followup stating if the problem was solved or what the solution, if any, had been.

Can you test something for me? Have one of the other CAD techs do a Profile > Reset. What happens?

After I set my main station up I simply created a profile and named it ACAD2013NEWSTATION, but I never tweaked any function commands or anything... that is all bone stock.

It's a simple, quick test. Please try. You'd be surprised at how many times I've suggested it for strange problems and it has worked. Who knows maybe we'll get lucky.

Oh I totally agree! I am not disagreeing, I actually thank you for your comments and valuable input. :notworthy: I just fear that by resetting the profile it will basically "forget" everything we have been repairing, or "tailoring" to how we like things and how we do things... What do you think? I can save down a current copy of my profile but that doesn't necessarily carry EVERYTHING over from this station... I just would hate to have to spend a half day retyping variables and setting the station back up to how we have it now.

But I do understand your philosophy on a quick reset how "most" of the time that solves the solution. I just wish we could pin point this issue :glare:

Oh I totally agree! I am not disagreeing, I actually thank you for your comments and valuable input. :notworthy: I just fear that by resetting the profile it will basically "forget" everything we have been repairing, or "tailoring" to how we like things and how we do things... What do you think? I can save down a current copy of my profile but that doesn't necessarily carry EVERYTHING over from this station... I just would hate to have to spend a half day retyping variables and setting the station back up to how we have it now.

But I do understand your philosophy on a quick reset how "most" of the time that solves the solution. I just wish we could pin point this issue :glare:

Enter SYSVDLG and hit ENTER. At the bottom of the dialog box you will see the button to Save All, as an .svf (system variable file) to assist you in resetting your variable settings should you need to,

It is always a good idea to have it, because things just have a way of happening.

system variable setting.jpg

Hey rkent thanks for chiming in, the keyboard and mouse came with the setup from Dell. We are using Dell Optiplex 7010 with Dell KM632 Wireless keyboard and mouse.

I use a different mouse [wired Microsoft Optical] with more buttons for different features but they all use the provided keyboard and mouse.

Update from my guys!: Now all 3 of my CAD guys computers are functioning properly and are not having the issue. WEIRD!

Hey Dadgad,

Thanks for that reminder! I tweaked a bunch of variables and stuff and completely disregarded the fact that there is a SAVE ALL button.

I guess this is what happens when you have a zillion things going on at once at the office! PROPS!

Thankfully the only thing that we drink around here is a Full Throttle Red Berry

image.asp.jpg

But I would agree that something is definitely going on here! Well I guess I will wait and see if they have issues again and try and target what they did prior to the issue resurfacing.

*scratches head*:facepalm:

Sounds like someone spiked the company water cooler with a hallucinogenic substance.:?

Where do you buy your bottled water? :whistle:

LOL I understand what you guys must be thinking (what a bunch of crazy lunatics) but if I knew why our stations bug out like they do then I wouldn't need the forums to waste my time.. Haha

Anyways, they all said a quick shutdown solved the problem for now so I hope that does it.

I really do appreciate you guys and your input. Next time that happens, Ill have one of my guys plug in a different keyboard. Dell may have supplied us with recycled batteries and they may need changing.

Hello, I'm one of the CAD guys that works alongside at the same company with tmelancon. I can confirm that it isn't the wireless keyboard. I plugged in my old Dell USB keyboard that I was using with CAD 2002 and the problem still occurs. I did realize, that the problem starts when i hit F9(GRID SNAP). Kind of seems like it occurs when I just get into a new dwg. Can the problem be that I'm leaving ACAD up and just closing out of the dwg to get into another one? Maybe it's trying to remember that last function I used and getting a little confused on what to do? :?