Function keys repeating last function when pressed! ACAD2014

tmelancon

You have four computers that at one time or another have experienced the issue in one office? Is this a network version of AutoCAD with five licenses?

We have two standalone versions of AutoCAD 14 and one of LT 2014 running currently and no one here has experienced a similar problem.

What kinds of tweaks have you made to the CUIx?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmelancon

• ReMark

• rkent

• slouviere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least 2 stations experience the issue throughout the day/week. Sometimes its once a day, sometimes its once a week. There is no trigger, we have looked into it multiple times. I have printed the log files to see maybe a pattern or certain command that triggers the problem and have nothing to conclude. Its always different and really never the same thing that provokes it. These are all individual standalone licenses.

Did you ever try swapping out one of the keyboards?

Have you made any tweaks to the CUIx?

Do you use any custom lisp routines?

Does it happen in a particular set of drawings?

Are you using any add-on programs?

Are all the computers the same as far as hardware goes?

yes, yes and yes. lol we actually thought it was because of the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. So we switched to both wired for testing purposes. The issue still came up. As far as tweaking the cuix, nothing but a couple of custom macros to automate small things. Our custom lisp routines have been in use for years and until we switched to 2014 have never had any issues what so ever.

Do all four computer with 2014 on them thus far share the same hardware configuration?

Were the four computers all basically set up at the same time using a single installation DVD?

If it were a bug I think we would see more complaints. I've yet to experience the problem and I can't even force it to happen (on two different systems - home & work) unless I use a piece of key programming software.

if it weren't some kind of bug i don't think we would be seeing 60 replies in this thread.

it only happened to me once, but nearly cost me a deadline, until i found my workaround (my previous post #53)

i wonder if it might be the mouse drivers losing com with acad 2014 somehow. ?

i'm using win 8.1 ( w/ logitech setpoint) and had a few various driver issues when i was upgrading. soundcards and other weird stuff.

seems to have smoothed out since a few win os updates

Do a recount. I don't think we had 60 different people say they had the same problem.

Windows 8.1? Who knows, maybe the OS is at the root of your problem.

Since you won't or can't answer the questions (post 63 and 65) I've put to you I think it is time for me to abandon this thread.

I hope you find a solution to your problem. It just seems suspect to me that a group of you in the same office all experience various degrees of the same problem. Something else is at play here.

Looking at a thread in the Autodesk forums the fix is to dock the command line. You might try that or turn it completely off as a test.

Have you undocked your command line and as a result seen the problem first hand? Just curious.

As a test I fired up 2014 (I recently switched to 2015), undocked the command line and started drawing. Can't seem to force the problem but I'll keep trying. Anyone else who cares to test this please join in the conversation and let us know what happens. I'd be interested in knowing. Thanks.

Edited by ReMark

Have you undocked your command line and as a result seen the problem first hand? Just curious.

I am not able to reproduce but many others have reported the same problem on various forums so there is something to it.

So far I have not been able to reproduce the problem either no matter how many times I cycle through the function keys. I wonder what all the users who are experiencing the problem have in common with each other besides the fact they are using AutoCAD 2014?

Test update. Every chance I get I return to 2014 and my test drawing and cycle through all of the function keys two or three times and I have yet to see the problem manifest itself. I even tried breaking up the routine by adding objects to the drawing yet the function keys perform as expected.

Edited by ReMark

i'm not in the same office. i am a freelancer and work solo. i don't know any of the other people and have no known association with anyone on this forum.

i found this thread by doing a search when i was having a similar problem.

it only happened once, but it was a major pain, at the time.

never had the problem with other versions of acad, or anything similar with other apps.

-i have had mice to wear out and keyboards to gum up and crap out. and sometimes if ins lock is on by accident you can get keyboard frustration. but not like this.

i think your questions were directed at someone else but i will attempt to answer anyway, just to contribute:

post 63:Did you ever try swapping out one of the keyboards? -no, but unplugged and replugged usb cable (not wireless)

Have you made any tweaks to the CUIx? don't think so, i just move my button bars around to what i am used to

Do you use any custom lisp routines? don't think so. i used to have one for date stamp, but don't use it anymore.

Does it happen in a particular set of drawings? no

Are you using any add-on programs? no

Are all the computers the same as far as hardware goes? only one here, but i'm guessing they are all different somehow.

Do all four computer with 2014 on them thus far share the same hardware configuration? n/a

Are you using any add-on programs? n/a

Were the four computers all basically set up at the same time using a single installation DVD? n/a

(again, i am in an entirely different office and don't know the other people, but had the same problem)

My questions were directed at tmelancon. Since he hasn't replied I guess my time here is done. I hope you get the problem figured out some day (sooner rather than later). Good luck.

Hey Remark,

Sorry I haven't responded. I haven't even been getting thread post updates via email like I normally do, so I had no clue you guys were even posting. Also, I have been really busy so I haven't been active in the forum for about a week.

Do all four computer with 2014 on them thus far share the same hardware configuration?

Answer: Yes, they were all configured the same.

Answer: We are not using any add-on programs, just a MASTER LISP file and a couple of LEE MACs lisp routines for batch find and replace, etc.

Were the four computers all basically set up at the same time using a single installation DVD?

Answer: We purchased 4 standalone licenses so we had 4 separate copies come in. Each station was configured with its own respective copy of autocad.

Thanks again for all of your help and time put into this! :) :notworthy:

• 10 months later...

Has anyone found a solution to this? It just happened to me on Acad2013 loaded on a computer 2yrs ago that I have been using without a problem until now (ok, besides the bottom info line of my docked Layer Properties Manager disappearing - but that's a separate issue).

Same thing, when I hit the F3/F8 it first toggles the other once before going back to doing it's job, and vice-a-versa.

Unfortunately I have no solution to this day. Some days/weeks we run smooth without the bug. Other days it happens every 10 minutes. I was in contact with Autodesk for a while and they said they were looking in to it. Haven't heard anything from them since. This is a bug that they apparently have never heard of but is all over the forums.

• 1 year later...

I received this email when I sent feedback to Autodesk, and the solution (set TEMPOVERRIDES to 0) worked:

>Hi,

>Did you recently update to the Windows 10 "anniversary edition" build 1607? That new windows release seems to have introduced a problem with temporary override keys and many function keys in AutoCAD do not work right. We are actively working with Microsoft on the issue.

>For now, please try the workaround of setting TEMPOVERRIDES to 0.

>Regards,

>Mike Fottrell

>AutoCAD Test Development

>Autodesk, Inc.

• 1 year later...
I received this email when I sent feedback to Autodesk, and the solution (set TEMPOVERRIDES to 0) worked:

>Hi,

>Did you recently update to the Windows 10 "anniversary edition" build 1607? That new windows release seems to have introduced a problem with temporary override keys and many function keys in AutoCAD do not work right. We are actively working with Microsoft on the issue.

>For now, please try the workaround of setting TEMPOVERRIDES to 0.

>Regards,

>Mike Fottrell

>AutoCAD Test Development

>Autodesk, Inc.

Anyone found a solution to this yet? Super frustrating. I tried setting the TEMPOVERRIDES to "0" as KathleenM mentioned was a suggested temporary fix from an AutoDesk rep...but it did not correct the issue. Please help!

Trey

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I use autocad 2016 and ha the same problem.  Couldnt be a keyboard issue as it still happened when I clicked on the icons in the bottom right.

I had 10 tabs open with other drawings (only simple 2D) but started happening on the lats tab.

I simply closed all the tabs - but not autocad - and reopened the file i was working on and the issue resolved itself.

Hope that helps someone with the same issue - dont panic save and reopen.