Function keys repeating last function when pressed! ACAD2014

tmelancon

There is no reason to close out AutoCAD after each and every drawing has been saved.

I would have liked to see someone reset a profile but no one has stepped up to volunteer.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmelancon

• ReMark

• rkent

• slouviere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We do not close out of each drawing, that is what slouviere is saying, we leave our main acad2014 window up after the first initialization and open new tabs for new/existing drawings throughtout the day.

As soon as we get to the office in the AM I will consider resetting the profile. Hoping and praying that our hallucinations[/] don't occur again... will follow up ReMark! Blessings brother

Hello, I'm one of the CAD guys that works alongside at the same company with tmelancon. I can confirm that it isn't the wireless keyboard. I plugged in my old Dell USB keyboard that I was using with CAD 2002 and the problem still occurs. I did realize, that the problem starts when i hit F9(GRID SNAP). Kind of seems like it occurs when I just get into a new dwg. Can the problem be that I'm leaving ACAD up and just closing out of the dwg to get into another one? Maybe it's trying to remember that last function I used and getting a little confused on what to do? :?

Welcome to CADTutor slouviere. :)

As ReMark noted, there is no need to close and reboot the software each time you close and open a new drawing.

I agree with ReMark, that the incredibly simple reset would be a good thing to try.

That or just create a new profile, and RESET that one only.

Then check to see if it is also plagued with this strange behavior.

I now understand that you are using the new TABS feature, and keeping a whole days work tabbed up,

not sure if that is such a great idea, it may be just fine, but I have not used that feature.

I would suggest closing down a drawing when you are through with it, how long does it take

to reopen it, are they huge files?

I am not sure if using multiple tabs may drain available system resources.

Hey dadgad thanks for the input that was going to be my plan, I just saved a new profile and am going to swap and see if there is a difference between the new (current) one or the old (reset original) one.

Will follow up guys! Have a great evening. God bless

Welcome to CADTutor slouviere. :)

As ReMark noted, there is no need to close and reboot the software each time you close and open a new drawing.

I agree with ReMark, that the incredibly simple reset would be a good thing to try.

That or just create a new profile, and RESET that one only.

Then check to see if it is also plagued with this strange behavior.

I now understand that you are using the new TABS feature, and keeping a whole days work tabbed up,

not sure if that is such a great idea, it may be just fine, but I have not used that feature.

I would suggest closing down a drawing when you are through with it, how long does it take

to reopen it, are they huge files?

I am not sure if using multiple tabs may drain available system resources.

No no! I'm not leaving up any tabbed work. I close out of a tab every time I go to work on something new. There's only one dwg open throughout the day. The way our system is setup, we have to keep it that way.

We do not close out of each drawing, that is what slouviere is saying, we leave our main acad2014 window up after the first initialization and open new tabs for new/existing drawings throughout the day.

As soon as we get to the office in the AM I will consider resetting the profile. Hoping and praying that our hallucinations[/] don't occur again... will follow up ReMark! Blessings brother

Hey Gaddad,

We Open ACAD2014 every morning (first initialization) and leave it up all day. We then open new/existing INDIVIDUAL drawings throughout the day, plotting and closing each drawing as we go. We do not keep a whole days work up in the tabs all day everyday. Haha I should have been more clear when I said "we do not close out of each drawing, I meant we do not close out of ACAD each time. We use tabs. Sigh, anyways, that's neither here nor there. Has no effect on our systems because actually one of my CAD guys has had a habit of doing that. Never gave us any issues.

I'm just being curious here, but do you actually shut down your computers each day and open them up the next day you are in work? I know that there is a lot of discussion here about shutting down each day or leaving the computers run 24/7. Just asking.

I always shut down at the end of the day but many of our employees don't despite the fact the IT department recommends it.

I'm just being curious here, but do you actually shut down your computers each day and open them up the next day you are in work? I know that there is a lot of discussion here about shutting down each day or leaving the computers run 24/7. Just asking.

I restart my computer at 5 when I head out the door. That shouldn't be the issue.

Valid question Tyke, and thanks for taking the time to chime in.

Sometimes we shut down and other days we forget. It is nothing recommended by our IT department, but I know at one point in time they required people to leave their computers on and allow them to go into standby mode in the evening and then just awaken it the next morning. In CAD we shut down everyday, or atleast 98% of the time we do. Human error, sometimes we forget.

I was always under the assumption that if one was in the habit of leaving their computer running all the time that an occasional shut down and subsequent reboot (a "cold" reboot) was actually good for the system. Cleans things out so to speak.

Yes, exactly. Just like my Galaxy Note 2. They say a reboot everyday is good for the phone and its performance. Its basically like a human taking a "30 minute power nap" but the computer takes it in under a minute. Fully refreshed with a brain [capable] of thinking.

Hey PotGuy, the issue has magically gone away except for yesterday it happened once to one of my guys but then notta since... Very strang... I was hoping by now someone would have had a more concrete answer. There is always hope though! Thank you so much.

Hello again ALL,

About a minute or two ago one of my guys had the problem occur AGAIN! its spontaneous and we still cannot figure out the issue.

Also another update, we HAVE tried ReMark's advice and the instant he started experiencing the problem he called me over and we went ahead and reset the profile and it reformatted the autocad back to its original state. STILL NOTHING! It is still doing the same thing. Immediately after resetting the profile and it went back to factory settings; he typed line, then hit 'F3' to turn OSNAP OFF and it turned ORTHO ON 'F8'.

I have double checked and we have not edited any of the function keys or anything, those are still set to original functions. Still looking for help! THANKS!

I found on the Autodesk forum where a user claims that a floating command line will cause this. Anyone there using a floating command line? If so, dock it and see if it happens again.

Hey rkent,

Thanks for the input, we do certainly appreciate any and all information to help solve this pesky quirk! Unfortunately, none of us use floating command lines. Guess we will get back to the drawing board and keep seeking a solution.

I found on the Autodesk forum where a user claims that a floating command line will cause this. Anyone there using a floating command line? If so, dock it and see if it happens again.

Nah man, I don't think it's that. My CAD people and I have all of ours docked. It's happened frequently to me today and like tmelancon said, we tried resetting the profile on my computer today and that did not help at all.

Update.... AGAIN... Now it just happened to me 2 seconds ago, I closed out of CAD altogether then reopened the drawing I was working in a BOOM. Gone. for now.

Anyways, just thought I would update for future references. Wish we could find the problem and create a solution! Thanks in advance.

anyone.gif