Milling animation possible with inventor?

kpyoung333

I couldn't find what this was made with, but is the lathe/mill action from :30 to :50 possible in inventor? I can get the animation to rotate and have the parts spin, but cannot figure out how to make the milling command take the surface down. Might this have been made with Maya? or some CAM software? I was hoping to use inventor to show how to make drill bits and contacts with the parts milled out from a single stock. Any ideas? If not possible, what is a program that I can use that my inventor/autocad skills will be able to translate easily?

Not certain what software was used for that, but it certainly wasn't Inventor. Doesn't look like CAM software either. It was probably done with Max or Lightwave or similar. Maybe Maya, but it seems that Maya is more used for character visualization, not so much hard surfaces and mechanical. Maybe Cinema4D?

You can do that in a number of programs. It would also take an experienced person to do it, not really something you can throw into Inventor Studio and show the boss over night, sorry.

You can do that in a number of programs. It would also take an experienced person to do it, not really something you can throw into Inventor Studio and show the boss over night, sorry.

Just wanted to highlight the bit about experience: That's almost certainly a solid 40-60 man-hours of work just modeling, rigging and animating, and that's assuming you're an expert user of whatever you're going to use. I'd probably model in modo, animate and render in Lightwave, except for the morph maps for the workpieces. That would be modeled and animated in Lightwave.

• 1 year later...
http://youtu.be/o4JYzDHUO7g I animated the extrusion to simulate a cutting action. This can be done to show a milling action too, just haven't modeled it. Not as in depth as their video obviously but shows pretty much all possible animations in Inventor (notice the sweep stops cutting one part and continues cutting another, the pin springs move and compress, the nut fades out, rotation while zooming). Didn't take long to make or animate and turned out pretty good, thought I would share.

• 3 weeks later...