Hidden commands

byk3bep

I don't have the "Add current scale" button on my toolbar. I know of it from my previous experience. Figured out how to put it back through customize user interface.

And here is the question:

Where can I find other cmds that are "hidden"?

I was wondering how can find out about the function of a cmd if I don't know that it even exists?

(damn that sounds stupid...)

Thx four your help and time

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• byk3bep

• nestly

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Depends on your definition of "hidden". Maybe it's a case of the command being undocumented?

Would you call the .DSVIEWER command hidden or undocumented?

Edited by ReMark

Guess in this case I meant the commands that are out of sight.

I'm asking is there a list of ALL the cmd's and the group that they belong to.

For example: I would like to know all the cmd's that are associated with dimensioning. Is there such a list? Where can I find it?

And nope, I didn't hear of .DSVIEWER, I would like to find it and i's function. That is the purpose of my post :)

That answers nothing, but ok...

I'm gonna assume that that there is no list, and when I have a practical problem, I'll come back...

If there's no icon in the Command List (lower left pane in the CUI Editor), it's pretty much a "hidden" command/tool

A complete list of Variables can be found in the System Variable Editor (SYSVDLG)

That answers nothing? You're a tough nut to crack or you're not prone to exerting much effort.

Do a search on the following: "autocad 2011+"command reference" and see what you pull up. Type the search criteria exactly as shown.

Well, I was just looking for a place to learn, not for a solution to a single problem.

Thx for the SYSVDLG, and the command reference tips.

Didn't mean to seem ungrateful, I always am.

Thx again :)

I'm gonna assume that that there is no list, and when I have a practical problem, I'll come back...

To you it might not answer anything. It is because you might understand CAD at this time.

There are 1,000's of commands and since you can, and most do, create a CUI then it would require 1,000's of list.

And for you to find the one that matches your CUI would be next to impossible.

So he gave you 2 links to find every command known to the list makers.

Please look through them and see which ones may be useful to you.

Have a great day.

I found a link to a command reference for AutoCAD 2011 and it lists 2764 pages. Unfortunately it does not display properly so I hesitate to put the link here.

The AutoCAD search tool is pretty powerful if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. (notice that the middle word in the command description is skipped, and the result is shown with only two letters of the 2nd word.) This also happens at the command line in 2014.

AcadSearch.gif

It works in 2011. Just tested.

*EDIT*

nestly beat me to it. :)

*EDIT #2*

Also, you can use Wildcard Matches.... so type *LIN* will get you anything with the letter LIN in the command. This can be useful in discovering new commands as well as finding that one command you can't remember all the way.

Capture_wildcard.PNG

Well then the OP really doesn't have much of an excuse at this point for not finding what he needs. Case closed. Next! LoL

Do you mean buttons? You can right click on the bar (status bar, or tool bar) and get choices of stuff to add to each.

Dana: I think the OP was looking either for a comprehensive list (alphabetical order?) or a command tree which AutoCAD may have come with way back in the day before it became the behemoth we now know/love/cherish/hate/putupwith. Maybe someone with lots of time on their hands could create a command tree. Any takers?

Yup, I was wandering is there a such a tree.

Instead of wandering around I came here, to ask those more knowledgeable.

Thx for all the help, never failed me yet :)

And sorry for the previous comment, I truly didn't see those links :oops: