Surface RT

SEANT

I will let the Vinyard thing go, couldn't resist however.
I didn't mind at all. It just gave me a laugh is all.

Thanks for all that information. So the main box works for Netflix and the bedroom one doesn't, or are they both slow down on netflix? I can get netflix on my appletv (don't laugh) and it works flawlessly, I go to the ASUS unit and it won't work at all. That was a waste of money but it wasn't my money at least, it was a gift from my step-son.
Yes, our living room HTPC runs NetFlix like a champ. Zero issues at all running on a 12MB down internet connection. NetFlix will "run" on the bedroom TV but some movies it'll stutter, some movies are okay but some are so choppy it's like watching satellite in a rain storm. But this lower powered HTPC runs everything else just fine, I think mostly because since it's Windows it takes advantage of the GPU. The processor is essentially a dual-core ARM netbook. Changing this out to a Core i3 would fix the issue instead of this particular hardware.

Oh, I never got back to you on Revit questions. I realized I was not going to make the time to go through a book so I got my company to pay for a 3 day training class. It was a good class and I learned a lot, now to keep practicing at home so I don't forget what I learned. The more advanced these cad programs get the more I feel like a data base editor and less like a design/draftsman.
I know what you mean, I deal with the "database editor" mentality all day every day. Once you get things set up in your Template, this is where you finally can be free to "design" and "draft". The information portion of it usually is the up-front work and everything else falls into place after that... but you gotta let time do it's thing and it doesn't happen quickly.

Just understand that you can totally set up Revit to act like AutoCAD in many ways, so don't get too hung up with thinking Revit has some magical 3D fix for this or for that. The more you use Revit's 2D tools the more it'll actually help you learn and appreciate the program.

:)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SEANT

• f700es

• tzframpton

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got Remote Desktop up and running. This allows me to run AutoCAD from theSurface RT. As you may imagine, it is abit claustrophobic. I’ll take it into the field to experiment with Internet Sharing (Tethering) to the smartphone. I imagine the AutoCAD experience will then be claustrophobic and laggy.

The remote connection has lessened the urgency to get a new printer. I’ll probably still make the purchase as I’d rather not have to re-connect for every printing task.

Another experiment will be to remotely connect to Visual Studio. I think the coding end should work well enough. Debugging, though, should be interesting, especially if I attempt a Windows Store app. Visual Studio, which is loaded on the desktop, will have to connect remotely to the Surface. We’ll have to see how that musical chair session works out.

Edited by SEANT
Modified message

working with AutoCAD on a small touch screen shows the value of the Ribbon UI. The standard icons display at about 1/3 the size of the tip of may little finger. Command Aliases incur a Keyboard penalty that tablets are designed to deprecate.

Having a workspace set up with the large Icons should help matters. Context switching of Tabs will keep the screen as uncluttered as possible.

The "Hover" functionality - critical for OSNAPS - may be tough to replicate. At least with the RT, which currently only allows a capacitive stylus. The Surface Pro can use a Digital Pen, which may allow OSNAP detection. Certainly both can use a mouse to get full functionality.

• 1 month later...

Did Microsoft just uncover RT’s killer app? Not the typical App Store app. A combination of hardware and software – can’t use firmware, as that term already has implications, - perhaps it will be called “Bladeware”.

http://www.citeworld.com/tablets/22459/microsoft-surface-blades

If I’m interpreting correctly there are numerous sensors below the touchpad surface that put the whole expanse up for grabs. Is it just a matter of a printed overlay and a custom calibrated app.

It might make custom blades extremely affordable. Say something like this to simplify CAD input for piping, complex masonry/tile work, surveying . . . .

Or this to allow patient monitoring without interfering the current image on screen. Seems like a lot of possibilities for field work.

General.jpg

Hospital.jpg

Hopefully, Microsoft will distribute a Software DevelopersKit (SDK) and incorporate Blades, Keys and Touchpads into the Toolbox of some soon to be released version of Visual Studio (VS). Creating a custom blade should not be much different from designing WinForms.

Perhaps a little more functionality could be added to VS to allow the automatic generation of vector graphics – ready to send to a SilkScreen maker. That way when Microsoft delivers the blank blades, $45 unit price when purchased in bulk, the Developer can get the graphics applied based on the current weeks orders for each particular Bladeware app.

Cross Post from SurfaceForum.net

At the end of the day, these blades are all about maximizing screen real estate and offering an efficient haptic UI. In much the same fashion that a physical qwerty pads outperform the on screen keyboard for word processing, blades would facilitate other extreme user input endeavors.

I think Microsoft could leverage Windows RT further on this front.

I’m a big fan of multiple monitors on my desktop. Many of the Application I use have extremely complex UIs. So, when using AutoCAD for example, I can set some of the UI elements onto a second monitor to maximize the drawing area on the first.

This situation can become even more cluttered as I open other applications, each of which has their own complex UI. The applications are all used in continuous support of each other.

The processor and resources of the Surface Pro is well up to the challenge, it’s just that the screen can only contain so much. Used as I described above, the necessary screen changes would be strobe like. Docking into an additional monitor would be quite gratifying.

What if Windows RT allowed the devise to be used as a second monitor? It could not actually host any of the x86/x64 applications, as the hardware specs to not allow it, but it could certainly contend with UI elements.

An Autodesk app could be fired up on the Windows RT devise to allow me to host the UI from AutoCAD – currently running on my desktop or Surface Pro. Autodesk may even provide a blade for AutoCAD or Inventor, or all of their other applications (similarly, Microsoft with Office-Visual Studio , Adobe . . .). The Blade serves as the constant UI, the screen of the Windows RT devise would be the volatile, context sensitive UI.

Both Windows and Windows RT communicate so that the RT updates the UI based on which Application is active on the Pro version (obviously, the blade wouldn’t change but the RT screen could).

Say this were all possible, now the additional cost of the Surface 2 can be adjusted to consider the saving as would be incurred with the purchase of a second monitor. This efficient package can easily follow the user around from office to home or any other place where a second monitor would be useful.

Did Microsoft just uncover RT’s killer app? Not the typical App Store app. A combination of hardware and software – can’t use firmware, as that term already has implications, - perhaps it will be called “Bladeware”.

http://www.citeworld.com/tablets/22459/microsoft-surface-blades

If I’m interpreting correctly there are numerous sensors below the touchpad surface that put the whole expanse up for grabs. Is it just a matter of a printed overlay and a custom calibrated app.

It might make custom blades extremely affordable. Say something like this to simplify CAD input for piping, complex masonry/tile work, surveying . . . .

Or this to allow patient monitoring without interfering the current image on screen. Seems like a lot of possibilities for field work.

Awesome find Sean. I think the "blade" approach is a fantastic idea, actually.

I'm getting more anxious to purchase me a Surface. I've been telling my wife that since we have our entire house wired up with media centers and media server, I think having a Surface would seal the deal. I imagine having a mount on the wall where when we host parties, the Surface is used as a "jukebox" where people can control the mood of the party themselves with an approachable easy to use touch screen interface. I just wonder if it'll tie into all the surround sound speaker set and all that.

. . . .I just wonder if it'll tie into all the surround sound speaker set and all that.

I don’t think that will be a problem, especially if you intend to go for the big dog, Surface Pro. My laptop is getting old, I’m anxious to get the new Pro myself.

I could not be more pleased with the build quality of my current RT devise. I have heard stories – owners with WiFi issues, slowness, crashing. I haven’t had issues at all. I’m not sure if I should attribute the mixed reaction to intermittent quality control, or just the usual iOS vs. Android vs. Microsoft disinformation/propaganda.

Until I see concrete evidence to the contrary, I’m bullish on Microsoft.