Vertical Datums and Plan and Profiles

GISdude

Hey guys,

I have been tasked to do plan and profiles (w/o CIVIL3D), in MAP3D. I have a good set of LISP routines to create the sheets. HOWEVER, I was wondering about the VERTICAL scale. When I create a new map, I always define the coordinate system. BUT, I NEVER have to use a VERTICAL DATUM when I do my maps. I'm wondering are there advantages/pitfalls to not using a vertical datum when do the PNP sheets? In other words, I like to be fairly precise when creating lot lines/row's/pue's, but when doing the vertical scale is it that important? :?

I might be just grasping here...

Thanks for any help...

• 9 months later...

Just recently running into a bunch of these myself, I'd say to definitely use one. I was unfortunate enough to inherit a mixture of profiles with different vertical scales and had to combine them into a single profile, all of them Land Desktop Data into C3D data... and from the start, would have been much easier had they been created from the get-go with proper vertical scaling in mind. Especially considering the vertical scale chosen on a few of them resulted in entire D size sheets as a profile, which looks absolutely ludicrous :)