Schematic Terminal Blocks

pqphillips

Okay, the standard Weidmueller terminal blocks we use here at work have four points of connection, so ostensibly our connection points read "???TB??:01A" through "*:01D" and so forth.

In general, when we have a terminal, the source goes into :01A and goes out of :01D (with B & C used if there are multiple destinations and/or if we need to insert a jumperbar into the thing).

My issue is how to show this correctly in AutoCAD Electrical with a single terminal block.

Before, it was a matter of putting the individual points in as separate terminal blocks, but not only does this clutter up a drawing, it also does not accurately represent how the terminals are set up (an extraction will show at least twice as many terminal blocks as are actually present in a cabinet).

I've tried creating an all new terminal block to show all the information plus multiple connection points, but Symbol Builder only allows one wire connection per direction for terminals (i.e. you can only have one coming from the left, one from the right, one from the top, and one from the bottom).

I'm frustrated and at the end of my rope because my bosses want to show a point to point wiring with the ": ??A" through ": ??D" terminal format, yet are getting upset with the extra terminal blocks that are being created and the clutter it causes.

Please tell me that someone either knows of or has found a solution to this...

Edited by pqphillips

• 2 months later...

Okay, after extensive research and even speaking with Doug McAlexander (yes, THE Doug McAlexander), we figured out that the best way to get around this issue is to create the terminal block as a regular component instead of a terminal.

So what I've done is create the terminal using standard wire connections, with the TERMXX values being invisible. A single attribute in the center, called TBX, indicates what the terminal number is, but an extraction will pull the :XXA, :XXB, :XXC, and :XXD values for From/To reports. Et voila... a perfectly good workaround for this issue.