• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WalterCarlson

• JD Mather

• nestly

• Fire_col

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I opened the OP's drawing in AutoCAD LT 2009, and selected the viewport frame (boundary, outline), the viewport frame became highlighted, and the corner grips were visible. THEN, clicking anywhere else, right or left click resulted in nothing more than the viewport becoming de-selected.

My next step was to check the values of the system variables pickfirst, and pickadd, both of which were already set to a value of 1, which they should be, since they are system variables and should not have changed upon opening somebody else's drawing.

Then, I selected the viewport again. Once again, any clicking action taken resulted in the viewport becoming de-selected.

Next, I selected the viewport again. Without doing anything else, I typed properties, and hit ENTER. The properties manager (dialog, sheet) appeared. This time, the viewport remained selected and the viewport properties were listed on the properties dialog box, including all the "scale" properties we are looking for. I closed the properties dialog box and esc keyed the viewport selection.

Next, I selected the viewport once again, and this time I right clicked, and the right-click menu appeared. The viewport remained selected so I clicked on Properties in the menu, and the Properties Dialog box once again appeared with the viewport properties listed.

Next, I closed the drawing WITHOUT saving changes. I re-opened the drawing and the whole thing started over again just as I described above.

I re-did the execution of the properties command while the viewport was selected, and the properties dialog appeared with the viewport properties listed.

Then, I saved the drawing, clicking "Yes" to save changes.

This time when re-opened, the drawing behaved normally.

I don't have a clue beyond this point.

Dana and all, I followed your procedure. I selected the viewpoint, I typed properties and hit ENTER. The properties manager (dialog, sheet) appeared, blank. I double clicked. and the properties manager sheet appeared as before with heading, 'no selection.' 'scale' properties did not appear. I want to thank everyone for taking time and effort to help me resolve this problem.

nestly, I do not get 'Viewpoint' on properties manager heading. It erads 'No selection.'

Hmmm, that may indicate another problem that we can help you fix, but before going down that road, When you select an object, the Properties Palette should show the object's properties in the Properties manager. Are you saying that it remains "No Selection" regardless of what type of object you select (line, circle, dimension, etc)?

PropertiesSelection.gif

nestly - when I hit a line, circle, arc, dimension... the properties manager title box becomes blank.

It sounds like you have a fairly common problem and need to repair or reinstall AutoCAD. I'm replying from my phone right now, but if you need help with that I'll be back in a little while

nestly - Thank you. I purchased the software online so I do not have a disc for reinstall.

Even if you get the software on-line you should always create a back-up DVD of the compressed install files.

It sounds like you are a student. Are you aware students can get Autodesk software for free from the Autodesk Student Community?

http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

I would try a Repair Install (go to the Windows Control Panel and right click on AutoCAD LT) first. Make sure you turn off anti-virus and UAC during any Repair Install or Re-install. If you decide to re-install, search Google for Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions.

Walter, just as one last check before repair/reinstall, please verify that Properties manager does not display the objects properties in the Modelspace tab. If the problem persists on the Modelspace tab as well, then proceed with repair/reinstall. (Be sure you have the Serial number or product key you originally used to install with)

You have two options to repair/reinstall:

1) Put the AutoCAD 2006 CD in the drive, and the installer should launch and prompt you to Add/Remove Features, Repair/Reinstall, or Remove. You want to choose Repair/Reinstall, and then it should ask whether you want to Repair, or Reinstall. I would try Repair first.

2) From the Windows(XP)* Start menu follow this progression: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > AutoCAD 2006 > Change (then refer to #1 above)

* if using Windows7, replace "Add/Remove Programs with "Programs and Settings"

While waiting, here's a little trivia about the problem. A blank/non-functional properties palette is often caused by a registry cleaner removing entries from the Windows registry that AutoCAD needs to work correctly. Not just designated registry cleaners either, Norton Antivirus (among others) has been a known culprit, although I think antivirus is less of a problem now, compared to several years ago. Any of the many programs advertised to "speed up your PC" probably fall into the category of "registry cleaners"

JD, nestly and everyone else, thank you, the repair worked. I'm back in business. Thank you for going the extra mile with me.

Walter

It sounds like you have a fairly common problem and need to repair or reinstall AutoCAD. I'm replying from my phone right now, but if you need help with that I'll be back in a little while

That might explain why the drawing was boogered all up when I opened it but began to work properly after I got the properties manager to open. My registry was correct, but probably didn't match addresses in a dll somewhere, until the dll was changed. Once I saved, it worked thereafter.

Back in the '90s I used to use a program called Norton Clean Sweep to keep my computer emptied out and running. Back then, in the days of the 365 meg memory and 100 meg disks, one had to do something, anything to keep the danged slow machines functioning at a non-exasperating level. Occasionally I would let it delete things I needed by accident. Then I would spend hours, even days retrieving "system" files I needed from other computers. Nowadays you can turn off services and applications one after the other, and create a custom boot profile. Then if you discover you have turned off something you need, just boot up using the original default boot.

I don't let my OS or my virus software perform any sort of automatic Clean-up routines any more. At least not the ones I can find.

JD - As I wrote, I am not a Student, but I am a 79 year old Senior. That may be part of the problem.
Hey, stop it. :stop: You're only a few years past me.:shock::rofl: