Dimensioning a 3D model as sketch in paperspace

vards01

Hi All,

Does anyone know if this is possible? I’m looking to model abasic part in 3D then throw some dimensions on it in paper space for quotationpurposes. The problem I have is even when I try aligned dimensions theextension lines from the dimension are not in the same line if vision as themodel (and this just looks awful). The parts are so basic they do not warrant a proper 3 view orthographicdrawing as a simple 3D sketch will suffice….Does anyone know how to achieve this inAutoCAD?

Thanks in advance…………

Create a layer in Model Space for your dims. It's much simpler than trying to dimension something that resides in Model Space when you are in Paper Space. I can see no merit in that approach.

If you make your dims associative you have no scaling problems in Paper Space.

Thanks this has all the dimension lines in the correct view planes. The only issue now is the text is very oblique so is a little unreadable.....do you think there is anything I could do to improve this?

I agree with Tyke, this is much easier in Model Space with coordinated UCSs. It is possible, however, by applying the _dimedit command with the Oblique option. See attached.

Oblique.dwg

Seant - Would you mind giving me a run down on how you dimensioned that part up? Thanks

The dimension in MS with respective UCS is a quick way of doing it (thanks Tyke) and although this is what I'm after, as these parts are so basic...but on the other hand I do want my work to look professional and I think the paperspace method you mention gives that.

First off, I should also mention that PaperSpace dimensioning as shown in that previous attachment is only accurate for spans aligned with one of the orthogonal axis (X, Y, or Z).

For instance, putting a Dim on the hypotenuse of the angular notch would not give an accurate value.

I used the DimAligned command for initial placement. I then went back to realign everything with Dimedit - Oblique. For the most part I set the new angle based on how I thought the dim structure needed to be modified - either 30 or -30. It was not always intuitive, though, and I had to redo the command several on certain Dims to get a rotation I was somewhat happy with.

What are the commands for the 2013 version.......thanks

Viewbase would give you the traditional orthographic views in a flash.

Great tip......That looks just like functions in the more expensive CAD packages for layouts....i.e. ProE etc....but a handy tool. Still a little overkill for what I was trying to achieve but if I wanted to create a professional look this may be the way forward in AutoCAD....sure beats the SOLVIEW / DRAW command!!!!

Great tip......That looks just like functions in the more expensive CAD packages for layouts....i.e. ProE etc....

Well, I could have suggested downloading a 30-day trial of a modern program like Autodesk Inventor that allows you to dimension 3D views (without jumping through hoops). Actually - I think you can now "rent" Inventor LT by the month.