Architecture: What do the Walt Disney Castle & Greek Parthenon Temple have in common?

Currahee

What do they have in common are what is "opposite" about their architecture?

Hint: it is all in the line of site

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Currahee

• Dana W

• Tyke

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All of their columns are tapered towards the top, so they don't look like they are going to fall over on you.

Actually the the Parthenon is angled the opposite way...

Walt Diney architects figugure to make to castle look TALLER then they would have to reduce the size as they went up. But the Greek (the originators of architecture in my mind) knew that if you stood and looked at the Temple from the ground it would appear smaller at the top. So actually the Parthenon is larger at the top than at the bottom.

All of their columns are tapered towards the top, so they don't look like they are going to fall over on you.

I am going to let you explore your architecture 101........LOL:D

Please forgive me Dana...I say this in a kind way..please dont dont take it in any other way.....I didnt know this either until I got to studying Greek Architecture;)

Walt Diney architects figugure to make to castle look TALLER then they would have to reduce the size as they went up. But the Greek (the originators of architecture in my mind) knew that if you stood and looked at the Temple from the ground it would appear smaller at the top. So actually the Parthenon is larger at the top than at the bottom.

And that is referred to as False perspective. Disney used it quite often.

Please forgive me Dana...I say this in a kind way..please dont dont take it in any other way.....I didnt know this either until I got to studying Greek Architecture;)

Dana you are a friend...please dont take it the wrong way...please!! I am the ignorant one, I of all my years of schooling ang and years of experience, I am now learning about this..

Please forgive me Dana...I didn't mean it in derogatory manner..

Not sure what all the apologizing is for? Dana has not even replied. :?

It is the way I replied to Dana....He is a friend and my reply to his post sounded wrong in my eyes

Dana you are a friend...please dont take it the wrong way...please!! I am the ignorant one, I of all my years of schooling ang and years of experience, I am now learning about this..

Please forgive me Dana...I didn't mean it in derogatory manner..

No apology required. I picked up on that right away. I never thought you were being offensive.:D I was merely guessing anyway. :oops:

I saw a show on the Discovery Channel that explained Cinderella's Castle is supposed to appear much taller than it really is because Disney exaggerated the amount the higher segments were scaled down. I just thought maybe the Parthenon was done the same way so I went for it.

No sweat, no prob, still friends.

In fact, most of my knowledge of Classical Architecture comes from the Discovery Channel.:rofl:

The real answer is that the Castle has millwork installed inside it that I did CAD drawings for, and the Parthenon does not. (even though my daughter thinks I am old enough to have done so.)

The shop I work for also has a great deal of millwork going into the Princess Fairytale Hall opening this fall. I was responsible for about 20 ;)(felt like it) miles of raised (simulated) panel wainscoting.

Forced or false perspective.
This is the correct answer. Each architect approached the apparent dilemma from opposite directions, however.