Inventor - I want to model a sheet metal part, to 'wrap' around a curved surface?

Ste1978

Hi there...

I am having brain freeze on how to develop this part. I have a hopper and on it's 'upper ring' I want to add a plate approx 100mm x 100mm with an 80mm hole in the middle, this would be a separate part which would basically be interchangeable plates with different size holes.

I can't find a way to design this plate so that is fits on the radius of the upper ring. It's very hard to explain actually maybe the pictures explain better...

On my attempt I'd just popped a ben onto the plate, but it's not a very good solution :(

Problem 1.jpg

In geometry you have a cone shape.

Revolve an angled line as a surface body.

Trim (Split)the surface body with a 2D sketch.

Thicken the trimmed surface.

What version of Inventor are you using?

Thanks JD - that is the way I shall go ahead with this, it seems so simple now you have pointed it out!

I am using Inventor 2013 and 2014, depending on who I am doing work for... this is inventor 2013.

EDIT: Would I still be able to create a flat pattern of the plate for profiling?

...EDIT: Would I still be able to create a flat pattern of the plate for profiling?

Yes, of course. Be sure to Thicken by your variable Thickness (the sheet metal style thickness).

Each of the 3 techniques I suggested are worth investigating to decide which one is best for your design intent.