trouble with Angle Mate

BikeGuy

Hello;

I'm interested to learn more about developing assemblies and how they connect. I am enclosing a study model which I am working to create an angle mate so that there is no interference conflict. I have two difficulties. One is that none of the angles that I input seem to reflect accurately when I complete the mate and test the Range of Motion.

Second when I try to edit the mate, the values go back to the previous ones after I input them and so I end up deleting the mate and trying again.

I've used different constraint surfaces, and many angle types. So far, no dice.

The enclosed zip file is a collection of parts in the assembly from SW2011

Thank you in advance for any help.

hinged-tube.zip

• 2 weeks later...

The zip file is missing an assembly. When I open the handle.sldasm file, it asks me to find handle-upr.SLDASM. From what I could open, the hinge limit mate appears to be working fine (30-250 degree range). Can you show a picture of what you want it to do?

hinge-interference.png

thanks for the input. The upload size doesn't allow me to include the whole thing. So here's a zip of the missing files. The picture should show the interference trouble that's going on.

I tried to change the limit angle but when I did, the text instantly reverted to the previous angle.

I admit that I don't understand angle limits that well.

Thank you for the help.

hinged-tube.zip

I was able to get it to work with two angle limit mates using the top planes. I mated the top plane of the handle tube with the top plane of the lower stanchion, and set the starting angle to zero (you may have to flip the dimension if the mate makes it go backwards), and the upper limit to 160 and the lower limit to -160. Then I mated the top plane of the mid hinge to the top plane of the lower stanchion, and set the starting angle to zero, and the upper limit to 99 and the lower limit to -99.

What version of SolidWorks are you on? I saved it using 2014 Beta 2, but I can only go back to 2013. If you're on anything before that, I'll have to walk you through it. Maybe I can make a video and throw it on youtube.

thank you so much for your generosity. I'll work on the instructions that you wrote out and see if it works. I'm using R2011 so it wouldn't be possible for me to read anything. But if I can't get it to work, I'll check in with you.

• 3 weeks later...