Problem to make region

madcho

Hi, everybody

I just want to ask how to make my drawing as region that cover the close area. When i select the circle object and tooth object, it not become a region . I already connect all the line but its not working.Hope that everybody in here can help.

9_8 autocad kecikkkan tooth.dwg

I saw a bunch of regions.

But why oh why oh why is the center circle a bunch of connected arcs rather than a circle?

I suspect the rest of the model could be significantly simplified as well.

I see areas where it appears to me to be obvious lack of symmetry.

This looks like something done without any training?

How long have you been using AutoCAD?

Is this really really what you want?

Symmetry.PNG

I recommend you start over and request step-by-step instructions here.

Supply all relevant information (like what book did this assignment come from?).

Q1. What units are you "using"? Inches? Millimeters? Other?

Looks like the OP used inches.

I want to know what units the OP thinks they are using.

I see a lot of users not using the units they thought they were using.

When I dimension some of the geometry - I don't see any indication that it is anything more than a rough sketch. The dimensions do not make logical sense to me.

madcho: You have some geometry that is sitting right on top of each other. I don't think that was intentional or was it? You have a total of 42 objects....

ToothOne.jpg

I agree with JD that the drawing does not have much symmetry at all, but looks like it should.

Also, your question is unclear, as you have only Regions in your drawing.

Perhaps you are looking for these commands: SUBTRACT, UNION, INTERSECT?

....Perhaps you are looking for these commands: SUBTRACT, UNION, INTERSECT?

As an instructor I would have held off giving these commands until the base geometry was cleaned up.

I have seen way to many students say, "well I don't have time to go back and do it right" and then try to continue with the flawed geometry.

Hi everybody, thanks for all of your reply.Really appreciate it.:D

1st of all, i would like to say that this geometry is base on software finite element for machine analysis.Here the original drawing when i convert from my software.https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f7cd0280f70197c7#cid=F7CD0280F70197C7&id=F7CD0280F70197C7%21115

In my analysis i need to analyzed if i change the size of tooth, what will be happen for all parameters that i need to see like torque. That why my machine is not in symmetric condition. The problem from machine analysis software is when i convert to AutoCad, the shape of all cicle become not smooth, it become so many arc. so what i do is convert all line become polyline and do fit the polyline. It is ok to do like this because as long the shape is almost circle, when insert it back to my machine design analysis, it will become circle. That why the shape of circle become arc.

I am really new in using AutoCad for edit this machine parameters. i only use it in 1 week. i really did not notice that it appear to be so many region. Why it is happen?. it is due to my trial and error when i want to make the circle and the tooth shape become region?.. The unit that i use from my machine analysis software is in 'mm'. so i though that the unit in autoCAD also in 'mm'

The main concern for my machine analysis is region.As long the machine become region i can simulate my machine.

If you want to draw in metric units then first use a metric template file such as acadiso.dwt and not the default template file which is named acad.dwt.

Your current drawing needs cleaning up as you have some geometry that is either duplicated (such as some of the rectangles) and/or is sitting on top of other geometry. Did you not look at my post where I separated out all the various parts of your drawing? You should probably half only half as many objects in your drawing as you currently do.

You can convert your drawing to millimeters via the -DWGUNITS command. Use MUST include the dash to activate the command.

Your "extra" geometry is on the left. There are 13 objects.

Your base geometry is on the right. There are 29 objects.

ToothTwo.jpg

By the way, all of your objects are separate regions. Is that what you want?

If your goal is to end up with one complete object then you might have to create a "group" or a "block".

Edited by ReMark

i really did not notice that it appear to be so many region. Why it is happen?

I believe it is because AutoCAD creates a region out of each closed loop.

...The main concern for my machine analysis is region.As long the machine become region i can simulate my machine.

I recommend learning the geometry tool first, before getting into simulation and analysis.

As an instructor I would have held off giving these commands until the base geometry was cleaned up.

I have seen way to many students say, "well I don't have time to go back and do it right" and then try to continue with the flawed geometry.

Yeah, the psychology of the so-called "student" is often a mystery to me. My Latin teacher distinguished between a student and a pupil by saying the former seeks knowledge through study, whereas a pupil basically just sits there filling a seat expecting to be spoon fed the answers.

Hi everybody, thanks for all of your reply.Really appreciate it.:D

1st of all, i would like to say that this geometry is base on software finite element for machine analysis.Here the original drawing when i convert from my software.https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=f7cd0280f70197c7#cid=F7CD0280F70197C7&id=F7CD0280F70197C7%21115

In my analysis i need to analyzed if i change the size of tooth, what will be happen for all parameters that i need to see like torque. That why my machine is not in symmetric condition. The problem from machine analysis software is when i convert to AutoCad, the shape of all cicle become not smooth, it become so many arc. so what i do is convert all line become polyline and do fit the polyline. It is ok to do like this because as long the shape is almost circle, when insert it back to my machine design analysis, it will become circle. That why the shape of circle become arc.

I am really new in using AutoCad for edit this machine parameters. i only use it in 1 week. i really did not notice that it appear to be so many region. Why it is happen?. it is due to my trial and error when i want to make the circle and the tooth shape become region?.. The unit that i use from my machine analysis software is in 'mm'. so i though that the unit in autoCAD also in 'mm'

The main concern for my machine analysis is region.As long the machine become region i can simulate my machine.

Thanks for the background. You probably should have shared that from the beginning. I think you should clean it up like ReMark said, and then you might look at the commands I mentioned and see if they would help you. You did notice those commands, right? BTW, it can be very difficult to tell why you got the results you did, unless we know precisely what you did. But if you didn't even notice the overlapping geometry, some of which is also in the DXF, then you very likely picked things you didn't mean to. Also, if you mention what software you are using, and all the steps you are taking, you just might get even more help, and better.