Reflected Ceiling plan

addesigns

Can someone please explain to me the view range for a reflected ceiling plan. For the life of me I can not figure it out. Also, i never understood why revit has a view depth? What is the poin of that. I am not bale to see my ceiling. It is not hidden or turned off or anything, but everytime I adjust the view range it gives me an error saying the depth is incorrect or whatever error it always states.

Haha, View Range is always something people deal with when you first start using Revit. It actually makes sense but takes awhile to wrap your head around. Link here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2013/Help/00001-Revit_He0/1468-Document1468/1469-2D_Views1469/1470-Plan_Vie1470/1475-View_Ran1475

(Be sure to expand the Example)

So, I'm not sure if you're aware, but Ceiling Plan orientations are the same as Floor Plan, but you're looking "up" instead of "down". So the levels are reversed. Think of it in this fashion: you're standing in the room and looking down at the floor. This is Floor Plan. Now, simply look up at the ceiling. This is Reflected Ceiling Plan. The orientation doesn't change when you look up or down... North wall is still the north wall, etc. This is the way Revit works.

Hope this helps, but rest assure that everyone has issues initially with grasping View Range, so don't be too hard on yourself. :)

I got it, it actually seems alot easier than the view range for a floor plan. It makes sense to think of it as my top plane is the level im on and the view depth is how far up. Floor plan is obviously the same, but i hate that the view depth is there when in reality that is not necessary. Also, I hate that if the view depth level and top range bottom level are not the same it gives an error.

Muchas Gracias

View Depth is the depth below the Bottom plane. This is so you can see "underneath" your floor, and it will show as screened. Most of the time I have this set at zero (0'-0").

... Now, simply look up at the ceiling. This is Reflected Ceiling Plan. The orientation doesn't change when you look up or down....

From http://www.wikihow.com/Read-a-Reflected-Ceiling-Plan

"A reflected ceiling plan (RCP) is a drawing, which shows the items that are located on the ceiling of a room or space. It is referred to as a reflected ceiling plan since it is drawn to display a view of the ceiling as if it was reflected onto a mirror on the floor. This way the reflected ceiling plan has the same orientation as the floor plan associated with it. It is as if the ceiling was see-through and you could see right through it to the floor below. ..."

rkent, great link. Unfortunately Revit doesn't work in this manor. The phrase "It is as if the ceiling was see-through and you could see right through it to the floor below." does not apply in Revit, and can cause confusion with people using Revit.

FWIW is all. 8)