Lines and grid coordniation.??? Please help

OooWeh

Hello Everyone.I wonder if anyone can help.

I am using Autocad 2012 and have found an online tutorial site very informative.

The assignment in beginners lesson 1-2, drawing a simple line square, has me baffled

As they mentioned in lesson1-1 that understanding coordinates is very important.

Firstly, in 1-2, they ask the reader to select the line tool and then enter the first coordinate of 1,2 as the starting point of the drawing.

Then the following entries 3,2 3,4 1,4 and 1,2 are entered and sure enough a perfect square is created.

My first problem is:

As many times I enter a starting point of 1,2 the line always starts in the same place. However, if I start again and enter any other figure the line starts in seemingly unrelated positions.

The second problem is:

the coordinates given in this exercise are not equal and should not create a square in my uneducated opinion.

Try as I might I cant find the logical :? relation between the grid and the coordinates.

For example:

The starting entry - 1,2 starts 2 grid lines from the +Y axis and 4 lines from the +x axis.

Please could someone help me understand this problem so I can move on.

I have scanned all the tutorials and videos I could find including AutoCad for dummies and cant find the answer.

Thanks

The second problem is:

the coordinates given in this exercise are not equal and should not create a square in my uneducated opinion.

Try as I might I cant find the logical :? relation between the grid and the coordinates.

if you examine the differences in the x and y coordinates for successive points, you will see the logic that will create a square.

Watch out for Absolute coordinates # and Relative coordinates.

AutoCAD used to default to Absolute and now defaults to Relative @.

Edited by JD Mather

Hi Rkent.

Thanks so much for your effort.

The penny has dropped.

What I realized was that the grid actually appears in 1 half increments.

I am no longer confused.

Thanks

Marc