Autocad 2012 inserting blocks with attributes enquiry

spur

Hi

I believe in our previous AutoCAD 2009 software we could create a block with attributes and save the drawing as a block, either wblock or create block.

When inserting this block into another drawing we would get the attribute dialog box appear and complete the required information.

Within AutoCAD 2012 we have made a block with attributes, when we insert this drawing into another drawing the block is inserted but no attribute dialog box.

If I click on the block I see edit block definition dialog box with the drawing file name of the block and the block name.

If I explode the block I then have my block and when clicking the block the attribute dialog box appears.

It seems that in AutoCAD 2012 when we create the block and save the drawing and then insert the drawing it becomes a nested block type.

Is there a setting I need to switch to prevent this and have the block insert and then click on it to change the attributes as required?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Are you saying that you think you did not do this nesting, that the program somehow did this nesting? That doesn't sound likely. Better check that again. Just unblock (EXPLODE) the attribute while in the Block Editor and save the attribute only as part of the main block. If you keep having problems, perhaps post the block for analysis.

Hi neophoible,

I dont think we nested the orginally drawing when we created it as a block, we even exploded it, purged the drawing and then amde it a block to be inserted into other drawings.

I have just tried your solution, open the block by selcting the drawing tiltle in block edit dialog box, exploded the block, saved it and then reinsetred.

This allows for the attributes to be written as requested, also undertook a battman to the existing block and this then allows for the block to be editied without exploding to get to the nested block which was orginally formed when creating the block.

I can post the drawing if you wish for you to review?

If I get chance I will try a 2009 copy of AutoCAD to see if i get the same results by creating a block the same way and then inserting in a drawing in 2009 AutoCAD.

Thanks for your advice so far.

Glad to help and glad to see you are making progress. Perhaps the problem lies in creating a block in a drawing then saving it that way. What you should do is WBLOCK a block when you want to INSERT it into other drawings. If you just save it in another drawing, it is nested in that drawing when you try to INSERT.

Hi neophoible,

Think that has solved it as i have tried on 2009 AutoCAD tonight and got the same results, then undertook the wblock process as you outline above and the block inserts and then asks for the attribute information, will try the 2012 system tomorrow to make sure this will resolve the issue.

Thanks for your help.

if your block was created correctly and you still don't get the dialogue box check that ATTREQ=1. If ATTREQ=0 attributes take their default value on insertion but double clicking the block should bring up the form.