Copy/paste objects from one layer in first file to a different layer in second file

greasywheats

Hi,

I am using ACAD 2005 and am trying to copy&paste several objects from a layer I created in one .dxf file to one of the 2 standard layers (0 or Defpoints) in a new blank .dxf file.

My problem though is that if I copy and paste all of the objects (or even one of them) and them move to the new file and paste, it pastes the objects, but also "imports" into the new file the original file's layer that these objects were on.

For clarity, the new file only has the 2 standard layers and then after copy/pasting an object, the file manager shows the 3rd layer from the original file.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Unless, there is a reason you need those objects on either of those layers, you shouldn't use them.

If you are not dealing with blocks, you could change the layer of those objects before copying.

The reason for the question is that I have a file with multiple objects per layer and multiple layers. When I look at the file in ACAD with all the layers turned on, I see all the objects. But when I email that .dxf file to my CNC router operator and he imports it into his G-code program (Enroute V5), he often does not see anything, or only certain objects and am wondering if his program only "sees" the default 0 and defpoints layers even though in ACAD all layers are turned on. Just trying to trouble shoot this.

Hi Rob, I sent him a couple test files and am waiting to hear back from him....I'll post here what I find out! Thanks!

After copy/paste are you exploding the block? When you dxfout are you doing a "select objects" or all objects? It might be that his G-code program doesn't deal well with blocks.

Is that true when using the keyboard ctrl-c and ctrl-v also? That's my habit which always inserts a block. I'm also on a very old release so things may be different.

Patrick,

I hate to even say this, but not sure what you mean by "blocks"? Oh, the pain of being ignorant!

I do know that I did not check "select objects" in the dxf saveas options. I wish he would get back to me about my test files.:x

Thanks for the help, I'll keep updating this post, but any new thoughts would be welcome, also if anyone is particularly familiar with the Enroute program, that would be really helpful...

Thanks!

An "Insert" might be a more appropriate term greasy. The "block" is the items that define an inserted object. In the case of a dxf file the block definition must be included in order that the insert object can reference it.

If you did not use the select objects option the definitions should be included in the dxf file but that is when the G-code program comes into play if it cannot read the definition properly. Did I make things muddy enough? :)

Pat, I think I understand what you are telling me, but don't know how to see if his g-code software is receiving the embedded definitions or not.

The test files that I have sent him don't actually contain any copy/pasted objects at this time. One test file actually just has a rectangle that I drew on the O layer to see how his g-code program "sees" things that I am drawing. The other test files have rectangle drawn on a new layer that I created (turned on and current) and then another file with rectangle on a new layer that I created (turned on but not current). I am testing his program for what it sees and then will step up to actually copying/pasting an object. This way, i will at least know what layers his program "sees".

Thanks!

Pat,

Thanks! so my initial tests are good for solving one problem (certain objects in the .dwg files that I was sending my CNC operator were not showing up, but now saving them as .dxf seems to be allowing him to view everything regardless of what layer the object is on. My bigger problem is one that I posted in a different forum section yesterday...

Hi all,

Newbie here. I have drawn several shapes including simple ones like rectangles with the corners filleted to 2" radii and ones shaped like a jelly bean using a combination of polylines, straightlines and arcs.

In my ACAD LT 2005 files, the arcs, fillets and polylines all appear very smooth (I set the display setting to 10,000) after I saw that the arcs had noticeable facets (like a diamond) when zoomed in. Essentially, those curves are made up up several line segments connected to look like a curve, but clearly not enough line segments...

My problem is that when I send these DXF files to my CNC router technician and he imports them into his program (EnRoute V.5). All of those arcs, fillets, and polylines still have those facets in them and do not appear smooth. When we actually cut plywood from these files, the pieces are in fact choppy.

My question- besides the display settings, is there a setting that I can change that will increase the number of control points that make up these curves that would smooth these facets out? Getting this fixed is crucial to the business that I am starting up and we just haven't been able to figure this out.

Any ideas on how to smooth these curves? I noticed this morning that when I typed "regenall" (saw this somewhere else) the curves went totally smooth, but after resaving the file and opening the facets are still there.

Thanks!

The faceting you are seeing in AutoCAD before the regen is just a display thing.

You shouldn't post the same question twice. It only leads to confusion. If you want to refer to another post, use a link so that all the responses are in one place.

Didn't someone mention a resolution setting for DXFOut? Did that not work?

Rob,

Didn't mean to run afoul. I will link next time.

The resolution setting for saveas for .dxf is set to 16 (max), so that is not helping.

Also, the faceting is not just display in my case, because it is translating into the Enroute G-code software that way and when we cut plywood using those files, the cuts in the plywood are faceted. It would seem to me that there must be some definition/setting independent of the display settings that can be adjusted...

Thanks!

rkent, I set FILEDIA to 0 (from 1) and used DXFOUT, but that just seems to reiterate the options using SAVEAS (precision, ascii format...)

Why set FILEDIA to 0?