Modeling a poker table with realistic arm padding(help)

clairbearj1

Hi guys,

I'm working on modelling a poker table in Inventor and rendering it in Showcase. However, the arm padding on the tables, looks too blocky and solid. I did a tut a while back in 3ds Max, where I made a couch cushion that had realistic contours. I know it's possible, but I don't remember how it's done. Can someone tell me how I can do this in 3ds Max? Something like this:

Cool-Poker-Tables-8.jpg

Edited by clairbearj1

Thanks for the reply Cad, this link is helpful. Just figure how to do that with a different shape. I'll get back to you with my results later.

Hey CAD, got an update of my poker table. I wasn't able to get the padding figured out in Max, don't have time to figure out. So I'm doing what can with textures in showcase. Maybe another project I'll figure it out.

5.jpg

3.jpg

Awesome table! Wish I had one in my upstairs media room. ;)

Might want to look at my recent thread: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?81050-Manipulate-sphere-to-quot-dip-quot-on-a-side

Look at Rewind's post about Soft Selection. This way you can pick some vertices and use Move to gradually depress them into the padding. Just a thought.

Hey StykFacE, thanks for the link. I think that would perfect for this because the other method distort the shape to much. With this I can keep my shape but make some subtle dips here and there. I see about doing that.