• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• LANA211

• coreyjaywilliams

• Chilidawg

Just finished my p-f course today!!!! Thanks a million everyone!!

great advice, thanks again, in the fall im going to college for civil engineering, a two year course majoring in project management

Congrats :)

in the fall im going to college for civil engineering, a two year course majoring in project management
this was my second plate, but frankly i dont care if its right or wrong, i wanted to finish this thing

:) I think you should do well with your career choice

:facepalm:Sorry Corey I just couldn't resist, good luck

• 8 months later...
hey,,,i really having trouble visualizing structual elective project 9:cry :cry: .if anyone has a pdf,would really love to see it..thx

We will need access to figure 20-21b of your Structural Drafting study unit for starters.

If I recall correctly the student is required to produced seven different plates. Is that correct?

From what I recall of the instructions they are somewhat confusing. Have you asked for assistance from your instructor?

• 1 year later...

Hi Corey!! I almost finish Penn Foster! Got 100 grade for pre-last exam electrical... Now working on Elective .. and i am stuck on Structural drafting , its run me crazy they don't give complete information. I will really appreciate any help for structural drafting . Maybe you can sent me a screenshot of structural plates , at least like that i will know do i on the right track.

Thank you a lot

Good luck and success for your business !:)

You're referencing the structural "elective" which is not the same as the structural project correct? It's a multi-story house built into a hillside? I think the structural project was either a warehouse or a parking garage.

Penn-Foster describes this project as "a two story daylight basement building. The lower level of the house is built into a hillside."

Edited by ReMark

As I recall both structural projects were poorly written. Is it possible they have been updated? Can you attach a copy of the PDF instructions so I can compare them to those I have? Thanks.

The first drawing you need to produce is the plan view of the foundation. After you have that completed that move on to the two elevations then the section. Have you created the plan view? If so, post an image.

The instructions call for a shed roof (two foot overhang at front and rear but not on the sides). A shed roof is pitched in one direction. A simple Internet search on the phrase "shed roof" will yield numerous images of what one looks like. Because the roof is pitched the beams that support it will be pitched as well but it depends on how P-F elected to support the roof. I haven't completely read all the instructions. BTW...the slope of the roof is 1:10 and it pitches from the east to the west meaning the east end of the roof will be higher that the west end. It appears you have drawn your roof as a series of steps (one foot high and ten feet long) which would be incorrect. The roof should be a diagonal line dropping 1 foot in elevation every 10 feet of horizontal run. Usually pitch is expressed as a drop of X inches in elevation for every 12 inches of run (ex. - 1:12 or 3:12). Why P-F decided to express pitch in feet is a mystery to me.

FYI: I have not taken the Penn-Foster AutoCAD drafting course nor have I attempted to recreate this particular structural project.

Because the house is built into a hillside the foundation though is most likely stepped.

It looks like P-F has not updated this project since I last viewed it five years ago. The project outline mentions saving to floppy disks (does anyone do that any more?) as well as creating a title block and border then scaling it up to fit the full size drawing (old school as in back when paper space layouts did not exist and everything was done in model space).

This line from the instructions just makes me laugh.

"Be aware that not all the information given here is necessary to complete the drafting project."

What it should say is "Not all the information necessary to complete the drafting project is given here. We may have omitted something important or described something in such vague terms as to be confusing but we are too lazy to go back and rewrite the instructions."

Why do I say this? Because the instructions are poorly written and in a couple of instances contradictory. I sent P-F an email about this project pointing out some of their errors and omissions but they refused to respond nor did they correct the instructions. Like I have said in the past they just don't care. P-F is basically a diploma mill that rakes in money and hands out nearly worthless certificates.

I think if the long time, dedicated forum members here put their collective minds together we could write a better set of course instructions.

Edited by ReMark

Can i post right here

There is 14 feet clearance from the first floor to the first floor ceiling and 10 ft from the second floor deck to the bottom of the roof beams at the lowest point...