Penn Foster Structural Elective

coreyjaywilliams

hello, i have completed everything thus far in this project, but i am lost with the elective, i have another week to finish so i can go to school in the fall (sponsored by work safe because of an accident) i was wondering if anyone could provide a screen shot of any or all of the plates, or even if anyone could help me with the elevation where as thats what im stuck on now at the moment, also having a hard time with the pads, footings and concrete retainning wall, i asked p-f and they didnt really help me

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• LANA211

• coreyjaywilliams

• Chilidawg

You're paying them for this course and they won't help you? Did you ask them why?

This is the structural elective and as far as I can tell no one has done it and posted any images. A quick read of the instructions gives me the impression the project is similar to the basic structural project which was some kind of warehouse if I recall correctly. You did that project didn't you?

What exactly are you stuck on regarding the elevation? Did you do the plan view yet?

yes i did, im currently trying to wrap my head around the retaining wall situation, and what i currently have is somehwhat off i think, ill upload what i have thus far (i moved the bottom components away temporRILY)

structural-elective.dwg

I am pressed for time tonight so although I did take a look at your drawing I have no worthwhile comments/suggestions to make. When I return to work Tuesday morning I'll take a look at the instructions and maybe take a run at them CAD-wise to see what I can come up with.

Where is an image of your foundation plan? Do NOT post a DWG file. As a matter of fact never post a DWG file unless requested to do so.

My head hurts reading the instructions. I think P-F goes out of its way to make things unnecessarily confusing.

A simple hand sketch showing the footprint of the building relative to the sheet layout and which way is North would set the student immediately on the right course.

They say the concrete pads around each column are square but give the dimensions as 16x32x32 and 24x54x54. I always thought it was length by width by height. When was it changed?

The columns are W12x70's as described on page 9 but they wait until page 15 to describe the size of the baseplates. BTW the baseplates should be larger and they should be anchored with four bolts not two.

i personally think p-f dosent want you to pass, they take weeks to reply and when they do they are so vague, the instructions are totally complicated, so im juyst going to do what i can, even if i get 0% on this project i still pass the course

remark, with your advise, (what you just said) i evaluated my choice and am now going to try the electronic and schematic project. i got 100% on my last one and did it in a day, on the other hand the last structural project i did took me two weeks

remark, with your advise, (what you just said) i evaluated my choice and am now going to try the electronic and schematic project. i got 100% on my last one and did it in a day, on the other hand the last structural project i did took me two weeks

I dissagree with your choice.

Work with what is hard for you and get better at it.

since the project is an elective the student has the option as to which one he/she is going to do.

here is what ive done on my new choice thus far, i was stuck on the structural for weeks, and within hours of doing this im almost complete the first plate (1 of 2)

Screenshot (57).jpg

I dissagree with your choice.

Work with what is hard for you and get better at it.

:shock:I'm sure you are free to sign up with P-F and try your hand at whatever you like. ;) But after having followed several of these P-F student threads, it seems obvious to me that the students aren't exactly getting a fair deal, much less a good one, nor is it necessarily applicable, real-world experience. I'd cut 'em some slack and just hope they get through it as best they can, and with as much of their hair intact as they can.:)

:shock:I'm sure you are free to sign up with P-F and try your hand at whatever you like. ;) But after having followed several of these P-F student threads, it seems obvious to me that the students aren't exactly getting a fair deal, much less a good one, nor is it necessarily applicable, real-world experience. I'd cut 'em some slack and just hope they get through it as best they can, and with as much of their hair intact as they can.:)

Fair enough.

I just like a challenge sometimes.

That's good news. In the future, north arrows and scale bars should not be large than the objects you are drawing as they are visually distracting.

great advice, thanks again, in the fall im going to college for civil engineering, a two year course majoring in project management