Problem with annotative and viewport scales

bpdennah

Hello,

I am using AutoCad LT 2010 and I want to change the scales from ratios (shown like - 1:10,1:20 etc.) to actual measurements (1/4"=1').

Also while using these ratios when scaling my viewports I am confused about what "# printing unit = # drawing unit". It seems straight forward as I am using Imperial units so you'd think it would, for example, mean that 1" = 1" - shown on the scale list as 1:1 -(because I am using and 11'x17' sheet). But when scaled it is clearly not correct. After doing a bit of research the closest thing that I could come up with is that a 1:1 ratio would mean 1"=1'. Is this correct?

I am new to AutoCad and I am self taught, thanks for any input.

If your Scale list contains scales like 1:10 & 1:20 then you've probably started the drawing using a metric template, which will likely cause other problems later if you're doing Imperial drawings. I think that also explains why printing 1:1 doesn't give the expected result... (1 unit is probably printing 1cm, instead of 1 inch). Perhaps copy/paste your drawing into an Imperial template (acad.dwt), and then try printing again.

Yep, that would most likely be what has happened as I am updating someone else's floor plan. Is there a way of copying the layers and the layouts all at once into the new drawing ? Or would I have to make the layouts that I made into templates so that they can be used in the other file? (if thats possible)

Hello,

I am using AutoCad LT 2010 and I want to change the scales from ratios (shown like - 1:10,1:20 etc.) to actual measurements (1/4"=1').

Also while using these ratios when scaling my viewports I am confused about what "# printing unit = # drawing unit". It seems straight forward as I am using Imperial units so you'd think it would, for example, mean that 1" = 1" - shown on the scale list as 1:1 -(because I am using and 11'x17' sheet). But when scaled it is clearly not correct. After doing a bit of research the closest thing that I could come up with is that a 1:1 ratio would mean 1"=1'. Is this correct?

I am new to AutoCad and I am self taught, thanks for any input.

1:1 is full size or 1"=1", or 1'=1', etc.

First thing is to measure the title sheet to ensure it is truly 17"x11". Then create a viewport, make that viewport active by clicking twice over the viewport, now use zoom, extents, now try some scales from the pull down list to find one that will work. The type of drawing you are making would determine the scale list to choose from. EX: Architecture would be along the lines of 1/8"=1', 1/4"=1' for floor plans, and 1/2"=1', 3/4"=1' for details, that is not inclusive but an example of what is used.

The 1:10 could be metric or imperial units, and if imperial this would typically be used by the Civil Engineering discipline and would mean 1" = 10' as they work in a unit of feet and decimals of feet.

If that just confuses thing more post back with more questions.

I think that nestly is right and in the viewport when I choose 1:14 it is plotting 1"=14m ... When I thought the viewport scale meant 1"=14' it seemed that the walls were about 3 times shorter than they should have been (when printed). Now I just need a solution to this problem if there is any? Would copying and pasting it into another drawing work? if so, how would I get all my layers (there's A LOT of layers) as well as my layouts into that drawing. Or is there a better a of doing it?

Thanks a lot!

Do you wish to convert this drawing into Imperial units, or just print it at Imperial scales. The latter should just be using plot scale of 1:25.4 in the Plot Dialog box, but I don't have any experience converting an entire drawing (with layouts) from metric to Imperial.

Well it doesn't NEED to be converted into a separate Imperial document, but if there was a practical way of doing it than that would be my best option. I am doing fire evacuation routes so there is going to be a lot of different scales that I need to use many times over - I guess I could calculate the custom scales that I need before I start then name them accordingly

-DWGUNITS (notice the - in front) will adjust your drawing (or a copy of the drawing) to the desired Imperial units.

Hopefully AutoCAD LT 2010 has that option.

Well it doesn't NEED to be converted into a separate Imperial document, but if there was a practical way of doing it than that would be my best option. I am doing fire evacuation routes so there is going to be a lot of different scales that I need to use many times over - I guess I could calculate the custom scales that I need before I start then name them accordingly

Are you going to be sharing these drawings with anyone else?

If you received a drawing from another person/company and expected to see scales you recognize (ex. 1/4'=1'-0") but saw something akin to 7/32"=1'-0" wouldn't you be a bit put off by that?

Do yourself a favor and fix your mistake so it does not come back to haunt either you or your company in the future.

Are you going to be sharing these drawings with anyone else?

If you received a drawing from another person/company and expected to see scales you recognize (ex. 1/4'=1'-0") but saw something akin to 7/32"=1'-0" wouldn't you be a bit put off by that?

Do yourself a favor and fix your mistake so it does not come back to haunt either you or your company in the future.

I am currently on co-op with a company so the drawings that I will be doing will most likely just help to be a better reference for the head engineer here. It was not my mistake of putting them into the wrong format of document - the drawing was just pieced together throughout the years when something was added or removed. I was just given the document to update.

My solution so far was to just copy and paste the layers into a blank Imperial document, then transfer the layouts by making them templates. This seems to have done the trick.