North points layers in viewports

AJSmith

Morning/Afternoon

Want to know if there is a better way to have multiple north points in a drawing with out having them on their own layer

I produce drawing along the length of a road so use viewports to cover the length so when the viewports overlap I have a cut line and this often means at the end of one viewport you see the next viewports north point.

Currently I have the north point block drawn on its own layer then I end up creating 2 or 3 move layers to put the blocks on so I can freeze the new layers in different viewports hiding then from the previous if that makes sense.

So is this the best approach or am I missing a trick?

Thanks in advanced

Put the northpoint for each sheet in paperspace.

That's what I tend to do. Alternatively you could put a single north point in modelspace then create a second viewport on each sheet to show the northpoint at the correct orientation for the sheet.

It's probably worth asking briefly how advisable it is to have multiple sheets with different orientations? If it all possible you'd probably find it a lot easier for the reader if all the sheets had north pointing in the same direction.

dJE

I have the same issue. There is a recent new feature that lets you tie a north-arrow block to a viewport. Not only does that take the arrow out of model space (which solves your problem), but you can adjust the UCS of the view by turning the arrow and vice versa. On the ribbon, you'd go to the Layout Tools tab and select North Arrow. Unfortunately, it's only available in Map and Civil 3D.

And it's not always possible to keep the same orientation in all viewports. Often you have a profile on the bottom half of the sheet, so the plan has to fit into a horizontal rectangle. If the road turns, you can't show a section vertically, and it doesn't align with the profile.