Page Setup Clarification

davesec

Hi,

I'm currently using Autocad 2011. I have a drawing with a single layout that was given to me from another group.

If I'm in Model Space, I go to 'Page Setup' and I get the 'Page Setup Manager', and it says "Current Page Setup: and then there's an option called *Model* that I can modify. If I try to modify it, I get an error saying "This plotter configuration cannot be used for one of these reasons: the driver cannot be found, the device cannot be found, or the driver has a problem. The None plot device has been substituted. Am I right in assuming this error is because the drawing was set up to plot on some random printer that belongs to the group (that I clearly do not have access to?)

Secondly, if I'm in the Layout (which is titled 'Site Plan' and I go to 'Page Setup', I now have two options in my Page Setup Manager: *Site Plan* and SITE PLAN. Why are there two of these instead of just one? I noticed that if I try to modify either, I get the same error, and then it brings me to the Page Setup page. In *Site Plan* the Plot Style Table defaults to _GroupAName Site Plan Standard.ctb (missing), and if I modify SITE PLAN I end up at the same page, except the Plot Style Table is now _GroupAName2 Site Plan Standard.ctb (missing).

Does this mean Group A set up two ways of printing the same layout using two different CTB files? Is this normal?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, I just want to make sure I understand what's going on.

oh - one follow up question... why aren't CTB files automatically embedded in the drawing somewhere? isn't this information pretty relevant to the actual drawing? are people constantly asking each other for ctb files in the autocad world, to ensure that they plot everything as intended?

Maybe they plot to a black and white copier and to a color inkjet. And maybe it's because the copier uses letter, legal and ledger size paper while the printer can output to something larger like a C, D or an E size sheet.

Call them and ask.

Edited by ReMark

Yeah, the first issue is because AutoCAD can't find the assigned in the page setup.

Regarding ctb's. That's more about the company's printing preferences. Using retransmit will ensure all the files use by the drawing her included.